February 21, 2016 | by  | in Opinion |

Hello, I am Salient

I was founded way back in 1938 to serve as an “organ of student opinion” for the students of Victoria University. So consider me the student’s mouthpiece. You’ll find around the various campuses of Vic first thing Monday mornings, looking crisp and freshly printed. By Friday afternoon, as the relevance wears off, I’m used as kindling to keep your ice-box flats warm. To show just how tech I am, I’m also available online, and have a very active social media presence. As they say—if you’re not online you’re dead?

I’m approaching my 80th birthday but I’m still youthful and get a face-lift every year, thanks to the anti-aging elixirs of Olay.

I’ve seen the best of times, and the worst of times—I’ve seen them all. I’ve seen a few wars, and watched society move towards a somewhat inclusive world. I used to report on jazz music, and local dances. In 1963 the then future Prime Minister Sir Geoffrey Palmer started ‘Girl of the Week’ in me. He defends this as a product of the time, and claims to see the light now. But what a product of the time it was. We’re now living in the age of the famed and framed Brad Pitt naan bread; an age where we have a jockstrap somewhere in the office. It’s a different time, but I keep up.

I run on the sweat of an oily rag, and my office gets especially sweaty in the summer months. My editors, news editor, designer and a few writers are compensated for their time by VUWSA, your students’ association. An army of volunteer writers, and people working overtime, help to keep me afloat and get me into the stands each week.

I offer a great way for students to get creative, and to unleash their thoughts, feelings, ideas, and artistic abilities. Contact my current editors on editor@salient.org.nz to get involved. I hear they’re great—and are still in need!

One Salient, Desperately Seeking

• Sub Editors
  • Reviewers
  • Feature Writers
  • Photographers
  • Illustrators

salient.org.nz

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,