Red Peak
February 28, 2016 | by  | in News |

It’s time to choose an ugly flag

On Thursday, March 3 voting will officially open for the final stage of the $26 million flag referendum.

Voters have the option of keeping the current flag or opting for Kyle Lockwood’s silver fern flag.

Flag Consideration Panel chair and Victoria University Professor John Burrows has released a statement telling New Zealanders, “we have the unique opportunity to consider all the perspectives before making our own personal choice and I encourage New Zealanders to exercise their vote in this historic decision.”

The silver fern flag has received support from a number of public figures, including Prime Minister John Key, Sir Geoffrey Palmer, Colin Meads, and Sir Richard Hadlee.

Public figures hoping to keep our current flag include Paul Henry, Parris Goebel, and actor Sam Neill.

On a local government front, Lower Hutt mayor Ray Wallace and Kapiti mayor Ross Church are the only Wellington region mayors opting to keep the current flag.

Those enrolled to vote should receive voting papers by Friday, March 11. Voting will officially close on Thursday, March 24.

R.I.P. Red Peak. Gone, but never forgotten.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,