February 21, 2016 | by  | in Opinion VUWSA |

Know your VUWSA

We were set up by students right after the university opened its doors for lectures—way back in 1899. Our founders knew that students were the best people to represent students; and to ensure the university delivered the quality of education, experience, community, and facilities that students needed.

The initial philosophy of students helping students holds true today. Tried, tested and true—we’ve been operating on this philosophy for years. It hasn’t failed us yet, and we’ve helped to improve thousands of students’ experiences while at Victoria.

Our Constitutional goals underline what we do

Democratic, representative, transparent, accountable and inclusive; the decisions we make are in line with our constitutional goals:

Goal 1 – Education quality: To ensure the university provides the best teaching and learning, research opportunities, assessment and training to students.

Goal 2 – Student support: To advocate for adequate financial support, income and welfare for students in order to improve barriers to education.

Goal 3 – Equity and access: To promote equity for disadvantaged students around access to and within the university.

Goal 4 – Services: To provide quality, cost effective services for the benefit of members, and where appropriate, students.

Goal 5 – Activities: To support sporting, social and cultural activities for and by members and students, particularly through clubs.

Goal 6 – Public issues: To be the critic and conscience of the university and society, by promoting discussion and action on issues concerning students.

Goal 7 – Finance: To maximise the member benefits by minimising fees or user charges through internal efficiency and non-member revenue.

Goal 8 – Accountability: To ensure accountability to, and representation of, members.

Goal 9 – Sustainability: To recognise the needs of current and future generations by promoting sustainable lifestyles and actions to members while ensuring the sustainable operation of the association and university members.

We’re free to join. As a member, you have the ultimate governing role over VUWSA—it is students who have the power to say what we should be doing and in what direction we should be going. You’re an integral part of this Association—so get involved.

You’re free to contact our executive about anything to do with the university, VUWSA, or students in Wellington generally!

www.vuwsa.org.nz