Ngāi Tauira—Introduction 2016

Tēnā tātou katoa.

Kua tae te wā kia pari anō ngā tai o ako ki tēnei o a tātou Whare Wānanga. E kikī ana ngā tai nei ki ngā tini ika o te ao mātauranga, ngā mātaitai o ako hei kaponga mō te hunga e hiakai ana ki tōnā momo.

Nō reira, ki a tātou ngā kupenga o Taramainuku, ngā hīnaki o hiahia, ngā aho a Tane e whakarite ana ki te hī ake i ngā ika o te mātauranga mō tēnei tau,  e tika ana kia rere ngā mihi ki a tātou.

Ki ngā manu pīrere o te tau, tēnā koutou. Mōkori anō kia rere a mihi ki a koutou mā te reanga hou hei akiaki i te hunga pakeke, hei whakakipakipa hoki i ngā uri whakatipu. Ki a tātou mā o te reanga hauturuki, tātou e rata haere ana ki ēnei timotimo kai, kua whāngaihia mai e ngā pūkenga, kia kaha tonu tātou.

As another year approaches, so to does the new intake of students, who like a school of fish arrive swiftly and in the thousands. With the new intake come new personalities, new adventures, and new dreams. 2016 has already come with many changes. The biggest change is the new executive for Ngāi Tauira Māori Students’ association.

Ngāi Tauira is the Māori equivalent to our sibling association VUWSA. It provides services for Māori students throughout the University, across all campuses. Our Pipitea limbs are Nga Rangahautira (Law, headed by Jack Fletcher and Rahera Dyall) and Ngā Taura Ūmanga (Commerce, headed by Tipene Kapa-Kingi and Allandria Puna).

Our Presidents Geneveine Wilson, an arts and commerce student, and Te Wehi Wright, an arts and law student, have begun their second term, and the executive for 2016 is filled with enthusiastic students.
We work closely with VUWSA, the Pasifika Students Council, and Te Herenga Waka Marae. We are excited to move to our new location, Room 102 in 42–44 Kelburn Parade. Come and visit! It’s homely, it’s friendly, and it’s just across the road from the sushi shop.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,