February 21, 2016 | by  | in Arts Film |

Star Wars: The Force Awakens

★★★★½

Directed by J. J. Abrams

Catching up on films that were released over the summer, I wanted to take a closer look at the phenomenon that is the 7th episode of the Star Wars legacy. Having seen it three times, and having placed my pre-order for the upcoming Lego video-game adaptation, it’s safe to say that I’m a bit of fan.

Everything about the film; the plot, the character development, and especially the sound and visual effects, gleam with an extraordinary level of polish, nostalgia and attention to detail that reflect the absolute love and joy that director J. J. Abrams has for the Star Wars franchise. His adoration for the series is highlighted in the plot of the film, which feels like a modern retelling of the original film, with a sprinkling of callbacks to other hallmarks from the original trilogy.

While this could have easily been a detriment to the film, it becomes one of its strongest features thanks to the masterful casting of leads Daisy Ridley and John Boyega.

The realism and human emotion the two actors bring to their roles make it an absolute delight to follow their journey throughout the film. The reversal of their traditional story roles and the mystery this opens at the close of the film, has left me (and most of the internet) discussing it for months afterwards.

With a nuanced and evil villain—Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), an elaborate backstory only hinted at in the onscreen plot, and a hero’s tale worthy of Greek legend, I strongly recommend you watch this film.

Most Valuable Character Award: Spherical Droid Bot, BB-8

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city