February 21, 2016 | by  | in Opinion The Queer Agenda |

The Queer Agenda

Kia ora whānau!

UniQ provide safe spaces, support, and social events on campus for queer* and questioning students of all genders and sexual identities. We are an inclusive, welcoming group and we offer: Queer mentoring and advocacy, information and resources, peer support, social events and discussion space, Pride week events.

Come find us during Clubs Week! We’ll be the loud-and-proud stall covered in rainbow flags, with sweet candy to bribe you to the rainbow side. You can even take a photo with the flag you identify with! Let us know what being queer and having queer support means to you, and tell us what you’d like to see from UniQ this year.

Come to our UniQ O-WEEK events:

• Wednesday 24th: Karaoke at Ivy (bring your student ID).
  • Thursday 25th: Movie night! Pride, 6:00pm in KK202 (we’ll bring pizza and popcorn).
  • Saturday 27th: Glo-week party at Ivy from 10:00pm.
  • Sunday 28th: Picnic! 2:30pm at the Soundshell in the Botanic Gardens. Bring something to share and come chill in the sunshine!

We meet every week, and we alternate between a facilitated discussion and a chill out time. It is every Friday from 1-–3pm in the Student Union building, starting on the third of March. Bring your lunch and meet new people in a safe and welcoming space. Check our facebook page for updates!

At our upcoming IGM we will update our constitution, create a new executive position, and elect additional executive members. If you’re interested in being involved in queer representation this year please come along, have your say, and run for a position. There will also be free pizza—again, we’re not above bribery.

The Queer Agenda column will cover heaps, from coming out, queer 101, to trans issues, Pride, pinkwashing, religion, and queer history. Feel free to send us any questions or feedback!

Find our Facebook page, UniQ Victoria, or email uniqvictoria@gmail.com.

Lots of love,

Your 2016 UniQ exec, <3.

* ‘Queer’ is an umbrella term used to describe many variations of sexual attraction and sex/gender identity, including (but not limited to) intersex, transgender, genderqueer, asexual, pansexual, fa’afafine, takatāpui, lesbian, bisexual, and gay.

1. Dear Daddy Dave
  2. The Weekly Planet
  3. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  4. Books to Films
  5. Books to Films
  6. Still Life with Chickens
  7. Silicon Valley Season 5
  8. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It
  9. Things Fall Apart
  10. Nothing Looks Better Than a Head Between Your Thighs Feels and Other Shit Chat