February 21, 2016 | by  | in Arts TV |

The X-Files Reboot

★★★½

Last Tuesday my TV life and my real life found an innate synergy.  Two of my best friends moved to Melbourne. What am I supposed to do without them? When will I see them again? Will everything be okay without them? It felt an awful lot like that time two of my best TV friends left when their show got cancelled…

But suddenly! They’re back! Two of the most beautiful human beings I have ever laid my eyes on… two of my old best friends… Fox Mulder and Dana Scully! For six whole episodes!

The X-Files reboot seems like it couldn’t come at a better time; not just for personal reasons, but because over the last few years nostalgia has been bubbling over for Scully and Mulder. Plus, the US government is so scary right now that it just makes sense that they’re hiding aliens from us. Screenwriter and producer Chris Carter jumps on such topics with Community’s Joel McHale playing a paranoid conservative political pundit in episode one, and later a mysterious trash monster out to stop gentrification and save the neighbourhood in episode four. Episode two catches us up with what happened between Scully and Mulder in the last ten years. Even with such a short season the show has found time to please the diehard fans, with a ridiculously silly “monster of the week” episode featuring New Zealand’s Rhys Darby.

I could write more, but I think most people who are going to watch this reboot won’t want it to be spoiled—it’s more special if I leave you to catch up with these two old friends yourselves. I promise you it’s worth your time and more episodes are rumoured to be put into production once it can be worked out behind-the-scenes. You really, just truly have to believe this time.

1