February 28, 2016 | by  | in V-ISA |

VUWSA International Students’ Association

Kia ora tātou,

I hope it is not too late to wish everyone a happy new year. May this year be a great year of joy, peace, and blessings. The are different ways of wishing happy new year, like “Felice Anno Nuovo” (Italian), “Xin Nian Yu Kuai” (Mandarin), or “Bonne Anneé” (French). That is the beauty of cultures, having unique ways of delivering the same greeting. Integration of different cultures requires time, respect, understanding, and initiative.

Studying overseas is a journey fraught with uncertainties. It is daunting for international students as they need to overcome challenges such as culture shock, language barriers, and unfamiliar environments.  Give yourselves a pat on your back for making that brave first step!  If you are struggling to adapt to a foreign environment or simply seeking some fun, find the VUWSA International Students’ Association (V-ISA). We aim to help you make your time at Victoria a memorable one. We are a representative group that speaks on behalf of the interests of international students, and we promote an international student culture at Victoria.

V-ISA was established in 2014 to address issues and concerns faced by international students at Victoria. We organize a range of social events to foster a community spirit amongst international students. V-ISA strives to make international student feel home, away from home.

The V-ISA team is made up of 12 students. Deon will lead the team this year, Esther is secretary, and Sonia is treasurer. Amalina, Corrine, Faris, and Vaelyn process feedback and comments, and plan exciting activities for international students. Ashraf, Zamir, Ravin, and Yanisa are the backbones of the team.

We invite all international students to participate and register with us by emailing vuwvisa@gmail.com. Stay up to date on our initiatives and activities by liking our facebook page: V-ISA, VUWSA International Students’ Association. We have exciting events planned, such as The Amazing Race (Day-at-the-Bay), V-ISA Sport Carnival, and V-ISA Survival.

Finally, while it may be challenging to adapt and integrate, it is not impossible. For all the international students out there, say “hi” to the friendly kiwi next to you; for all the local students out there, don’t let the conversation stall at “where are you from!” Step up, reach out!

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,