February 21, 2016 | by  | in Opinion Women's Group |

VUWSA Women’s Group / Te Roopu Mana Wahine o Wikitoria

Tēnā koutou katoa.

Ngā mihi o te ao hou!

Ki nga tauira kua hoki mai, ki nga tauira hou, kia koutou katoa, nau mai, haere mai.

Ko mātou Te Roopu Mana Wahine o Wikitoria. He roopu hei reo korero mo nga tauira o tenei whare wānanga, ko Te Whare Wānanga o te Ūpoko o te Ika a Māui. He roopu matou hei tautoko nga tauira wahine, nga tauira takatāpui, nga tauira Māori, nga tangata katoa o te Whare Wānanga. Nau mai, haere mai ki tō mātou wāhi whakaruruhau!

Kia ora! The Women’s Group is a representative group that welcomes all students at Victoria University, regardless of their level of study, ethnicity, race, age, gender identity, sexual orientation, disability (physical or not), religion, or political beliefs. The Women’s Group is a safe space for everyone, one for people to be themselves!

What do we do?

The Women’s Group executive organises a number of events including; coffee dates in the women’s room, talks on topics, film screenings, clothes swaps, zine-making, and a whole bunch more! Each year we host ‘Women’s Week’ on campus which celebrates and embraces womanhood. We are politically active, and have previously held a protest against Rape Culture, passed a pro-choice motion to VUWSA, and are now involved with the Thursdays in Black campaign—a student movement against rape and violence.

Want to get involved?

We are always looking for volunteers to help out at events and for groups who are keen to collaborate with us. Students are encouraged to contact the Women’s Group by emailing equity@vuwsa.org.nz with any queries or suggestions. Come along to our first meeting of the year at 12.15pm on the 16th of March in the Student Union Building, Room 217.

Want to run for the Women’s Group executive?

The executive decides and organises on what the Women’s Group will do for the year! There are many roles that you can run for depending on what you are best at. If you want to run for a position on the executive, or want more information, email Chrissy at equity@vuwsa.org.nz.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,