March 13, 2016 | by  | in One Ocean |

All I have to do is DREAM

Dreams can be interpreted as anything and everything. When this word arises in conversation there must always be clarification between the type of dream you’re talking about—sleeping dreams or aspirational dreams. When people are asked about their dreams, they often don’t consider challenges like financial difficulties or lack of educational qualifications. Everyone loves talking about their dream, you can see people light up thinking about the endless possibilities of what they could achieve. Then they snap back with an all too common saying, “what a dream” or “dreams are free,” shutting themselves down and settling back into their realities, becoming what companies love; life-long employees.

The intention of this piece is not to be all doom and gloom, or that being an employee is horrible. Rather, we hope it inspires you to reach higher and go further, surpassing the boundaries others have set you or the ones you have sub-consciously set yourself. As Pasifika people who are fortunate enough to be born and raised in the land of milk and honey, our great-grandparents and grandparents could only imagine the benefits such a place would bring their families. Soooo, let’s live our lives to the fullest, taking every opportunity that arises and give it our best so when we look back there will be no regrets.

Now that those feels are out, let’s end this with a very inspirational quote from a movie that Leo received an Oscar nomination for but didn’t win. And though it looked like he may never win, 2016 was his year because persistence is key. Persistence is key! Your dreams and aspirations are important!

“The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can’t achieve it.” (Jordan Belfort in The Wolf of Wall Street).

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,