March 20, 2016 | by  | in Theatre |

Clowning at Perfection

A review of Fringe Festival performance, Perhaps, Perhaps… Quizás

If you managed to see this show, you can understand why Gabriela Munoz won the two most highly regarded Fringe awards: Outstanding Performer and Best in Fringe! Perhaps, Perhaps… Quizás is a solo clown performance all the way from Mexico, first performed in New York 2010, that has since traveled worldwide.

As the audience filed into the Propellor stage at BATS, before us, behind a white mesh canopy and sitting at a ladies vanity, was the curious clown, Greta. Munoz rendering of Greta is visually reminiscent of Marie Antoinette meets Helena Bonham Carter meets Alice in Wonderland—with her own quirky twist. Greta wears a puffy, disheveled wedding dress, complete with satin knickers and pantyhose. Her hair is frizzy and teased. Her face is powdered white, with contrasting dark profound eyebrows. The brows alone were worth watching for an hour! Munoz had an exquisite range of facial expressions. She engaged and entertained from the get-go, holding our attention without dialogue.

The audience joined the beloved Greta on her quest to find a man to marry—all without the use of dialogue. She has prepared the entire wedding; from the ring, the cake, and the ceremony. All she is missing is someone to marry (and a celebrant). This is where the audience comes into play. Munoz interacts with the audience superbly. She finds the balance between teasing audience members and accepting their offers. We follow the poignant and hilarious narrative of Greta and her selected audience member’s wedding day, and the quirky mishaps and playfulness around these peculiar marriage rituals.

Unfortunately the season has closed, however if you ever get the chance to watch this performance, you must! She is one talented human who has perfected the art of being a clown.

1. Growth
  2. Update: VUW Faculty of Health
  3. The Sun Also Rises: ANZAC and The End of the Day
  4. Not My President, But My Country
  5. UN to receive SOUL
  6. The Word for World is Forest — Ursula K. Le Guin
  7. An ode to Alien (1979)
  9. Dear Mr James…
  10. Care workers win equal pay

Growth

: - SPONSORED - The first plant I ever owned was a succulent. I chose a succulent because they are meant to be so easy to take care of. I thought, I can do this. My succulent died in our cold damp Aro Valley flat. We lived there for two years, it is where I started […]