March 6, 2016 | by  | in Editorial |

Editorial—Issue 2, 2016

Jayne is from the Hutt. She was born there, and her parents were born in Wellington. She lived there until she could afford to move out, which was the last year of her degree, when she was working two jobs—and her parents still had to supplement this. That was 20- (she doesn’t want you to know because she feels old).

Emma is from Auckland. I think it’s Pukekohe, or maybe it’s Papatoetoe. It’s the southernmost part of South Auckland. She says it’s got a few gangs, and farmers, and sometimes gangs of farmers. It’s rural and really popular for it’s onions and potatoes. And it has a BIG racetrack (she said big right into my face).

Jayne lives with her friend and her boyfriend. She wants a cat called Chut-eney (very strange).

Emma has been between homes, like a dove with nowhere to return to. But she has a flat now, she has signed a lease and everything… except moved in.

Jayne lived in one house her whole life. She moved in the day after she was born, her Mum was giving birth to her while her Dad was moving their things to their new home. It has a big garden that she liked to play in, and her parents still live there now so it must be nice.

Emma was born in a house in Epsom (like the salt), not a hospital, born straight into her new home. There was an ambulance (she thinks, but definitely a doctor with a flashlight, but she doesn’t remember because she was 0). Her parents broke up so she spent her time between two homes, in Pukekohe and in Mt Roskill.

Wellington is now the place both Emma and Jayne call home. It’s also becoming apparent that their home is the Salient office.

Emma and Jayne have done a little bit of travelling, Emma has been to Cambodia, and Vietnam, and Jayne has been there too, but at a different time than Emma. And she also went to Thailand.

We were so excited to see that Molly and Ollie (ex-Salient editors) had returned from their East to West adventure. And we really appreciate that they shared the photos and stories with us, so that we could share it with you all. They saw places we may never see, and you may not either. Their photos are incredible, and capture the essence of each place.

Rob Yates takes you readers on a journey through the South Island, in a creative non-fiction piece inspired by his travels there. Ella has done some beautiful illustrations to accompany this piece. We hope you enjoy reading the places issue.

Xoxo Emma & Jayne

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,