March 13, 2016 | by  | in Women's Group |

Kim Kardashian is dreamy

The world graciously gifted us an amazingly beautiful, semi-nude, image of Kim Kardashian last week. It is important to note that it was a selfie, taken by her, of her. She was nude except black bars that covered her nipples and area below. The image shows her curves, her blonde hair (which looks great), and her pout; all together contribute to the absolute perfection of this image. The caption—“when you feel like you have nothing to wear LOL”—accompanied her selfie very well too.

To me it spoke to something we all may or may not feel when we are getting ready: having too much fun being nude that you don’t even want put clothes on. I think it is a feeling which not enough of us feel but should have permission to feel. It was something Kim felt and wanted to share. She held the camera, she was in power over that photo, and therefore it was liberating for her to share it.

What was cringe worthy was the reaction that some people had towards her amazing selfie. People on twitter were probably trying to come across as being ‘feminist’, but slut-shamed her by telling her that she was attention seeking, and that she is a “bad role model” for girls because she felt comfortable in her own body. Why did people even try? Did they expect her not take any semi-nude selfies any more? Please stop and go away.

The response from Kim to the negative comments about her selfie, was featured on her app. I wanted to quote one of the things she had said because it’s powerful and feminist, and almost made me shed a tear:

“I am empowered by my body. I am empowered by my sexuality. I am empowered feeling comfortable in my own skin. […] it’s 2016. The body-shaming and slut-shaming—it’s like, enough is enough. I will not live my life dictated by the issues you have with my sexuality. You be you and let me be me.”

I think that this is something that we all can take away. Enough is enough, stop trying to police women and their bodies. Let Kim take amazing selfies. Let women be proud of their bodies no matter their size, shape, or how much hair they have on it. Kim felt liberated and I thought that the selfie was amazing. Not only did she look incredibly beautiful, she looked confident, and was having fun. I love that. That is dreamy as fuck.

I love you Kim and please continue to do you.

#goals

Coming up: Women’s Group AGM on March 16, from 12.15pm onwards in SU217 (snacks provided)