March 6, 2016 | by  | in Breathing Space |

Places of Wellbeing

Spending time in a large place like Vic, it’s important to recognise the impact that different spaces have on your wellbeing. Feeling comfortable in your space allows you to flourish academically and personally. It’s also worth acknowledging that we are very social creatures and need human interaction to maintain our wellbeing. This is why it’s a great idea to suss out the different spots at Vic, and work out where to go depending on your personality and mood.

The Bubble (level two, Student Union building) is a great place to go if you’re craving social interaction or need to de-stress. It’s a place to socialise, relax, and enjoy a cup of tea with the friendly Bubble leaders or your mates. Of course the Hunter Lounge is always a chill vibe. It’s a great place to procrastinate and avoid finishing the essay that’s due on Friday, while you argue about how the latest Game of Thrones episode ignored the books over a bowl of curly fries.

If you want to be surrounded by humans, the Hub is a great place to hang. It tends to be a low stress zone in Vic as people just want to chat, read, or eat. If you stick around for an hour or so you’re bound to run into a few people.

If you’re feeling in a more introverted mood, I recommend (I’m giving away my secrets here) the basement level of the library. There are bean bags and tiny nooks you can tuck yourself into and hide from the world, it’s also got the philosophy section so you can read up on what the old masters have to say about wellbeing and happiness.

I also recommend the Mount St. cemetery. Ditch your superstition and enjoy gorgeous views, while being surrounded by loads of trees and minimal humans. If you want to wander further, the Botanic Gardens always offer up beautiful scenery and solitude.

Mauri Ora is where the doctors, counsellors, and physiotherapists of Vic reside. It’s worth popping in and registering with this service as it’s free (!), and we students are prone to developing ills and chills due to stress and living situations. Making time to look after your physical and mental health will improve your grades, your relationships, and your happiness.

Be smart about where you spend your time at Vic, make the most of the social and solitary spaces to optimise your health and wellbeing.