March 13, 2016 | by  | in V-ISA |

V-ISA Column

Hola! Clubs week concluded with a bang for V-ISA! We have approximately 100 new sign-ups and we thank all members for supporting us! Throughout the week, the team has seen a diverse bunch of fresh-faced first years hailing from Thailand, China, Europe, and even Saudi Arabia.

A recurring question that many people asked is, “how do you cope in your first year?” Here’s are our tips:

1. Food parcels at VUWSA

VUWSA gives out food parcels containing items like spaghetti, rice, rolled oats—at zero cost! All you have to do is to fill in a form with your personal details.

1. Affordable food

Most sushi places in Wellington will slash prices in the evening to get rid of any leftovers, including Maki Mono. Krishna’s $5.00 vegan lunches and The Lab’s noodle salads are real steals too.

1. Student learning services

If you are unsure of the requirements for an essay, check out student learning services. They even offer to proof-read your written work, and have tips on time management and exam revision.

1. VUW Book Trade

Type in ‘VUW Book Trade on Facebook and you will discover a treasure trove of discounted pre-loved textbooks! If you really need a new copy, check out bookdepository.com. They have cheaper titles (sometimes) and free delivery!

“Staying at home” is the most common response given by international students when they were asked what they did during their free time. This brings me to my next point.

1. Join V-ISA’s meet-and-greet, movie night, ski trip, and other great activities

That’s right! We have an exciting lineup of events for all students this year. Regular updates will be posted on our Facebook page—V-ISA, VUWSA International Students’ Association. We welcome all students, domestic or international, to take part in our activities and mingle with the rest of us!

If you missed V-ISA’s booth during clubs week, you can still sign up with us by dropping us an email at vuwvisa@gmail.com.

1. You Are Not Your Illness
  2. Let Me at The Bachelor, and Other Shit Chat
  3. Lost in the Sauce – Avo-no you didn’t
  4. Mauri Ora – Winter’s Comin’
  5. Token Cripple – How To Survive Your First Year at University (with a disabled twist!)
  6. Dream Diagnosis – Fire in Wellington
  7. Liquid Knowledge – Animal farts and performative veganism
  9. Uni Council Corner
  10. Dylan Horrocks gets new job

He Tāonga

:   I wanted to write this piece, in order to connect to all tauira within the University, with the hope that we can all remind ourselves that we are a part of an environment which is valuable, no matter our culture, our beliefs or our skin colour. The ultimate purpose of this