March 13, 2016 | by  | in Dr Feelgood |

Virginity: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Bumpin’

Popping your cherry, losing your v-card, going all the way, sliding into home base. Regardless of the slang, having sex for the first time is a hurdle pretty much everyone has to jump. I won’t patronise you by saying you have to lose it to someone you love, or wait until marriage, because for most people, that shit’s not realistic. Instead, just remember the three C’s: connection, consent, and contraception.

Losing your v’s is essentially showing a part of yourself that’s never been seen before. Never again will sex be such uncharted territory, so ideally do it with someone who won’t emotionally sink your ship. A brief survey of my flatmates showed that the first time is unforgettable, drunk or not, so make it a good memory by not sleeping with a shithead.

Secondly, and most importantly, consent is key. This goes far beyond a simple yes or no, and applies to every sexual experience you have. Drinking and sex coincide A LOT (I mean, how fine was that guy from town last night, right?) and things can get out of control scarily quick. In a perfect world you’d never have to worry about people with shitty motives, but it’s not, and the last thing you need as a beautiful virgin flower is to have an awful experience that taints your view of sex. Make sure you’re both in a good position to clearly say and show (body language etc.) yes. Plus, the sex will be SO much better.

Lastly, always protect yourself kids. Nothing ruins fun time with your new fuck buddy like chlamydia. While it’s not that big a deal medically, it can add a gross dynamic and bring about all kinds of icky questions. Condoms are a must, but it’s worthwhile (seriously) to look into more reliable contraception, like the pill, an implant, or Depo-Provera shots.

Losing your virginity is a big deal. Some people may disagree, but it is. It’s your introduction to your sexuality, and sets the stage for how you perceive sex. Put a bit of thought into how you want it to go and make your first ugly bumpin’ a humpin’ thumpin’ good time ;).

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos