March 13, 2016 | by  | in Dr Feelgood |

Virginity: The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly Bumpin’

Popping your cherry, losing your v-card, going all the way, sliding into home base. Regardless of the slang, having sex for the first time is a hurdle pretty much everyone has to jump. I won’t patronise you by saying you have to lose it to someone you love, or wait until marriage, because for most people, that shit’s not realistic. Instead, just remember the three C’s: connection, consent, and contraception.

Losing your v’s is essentially showing a part of yourself that’s never been seen before. Never again will sex be such uncharted territory, so ideally do it with someone who won’t emotionally sink your ship. A brief survey of my flatmates showed that the first time is unforgettable, drunk or not, so make it a good memory by not sleeping with a shithead.

Secondly, and most importantly, consent is key. This goes far beyond a simple yes or no, and applies to every sexual experience you have. Drinking and sex coincide A LOT (I mean, how fine was that guy from town last night, right?) and things can get out of control scarily quick. In a perfect world you’d never have to worry about people with shitty motives, but it’s not, and the last thing you need as a beautiful virgin flower is to have an awful experience that taints your view of sex. Make sure you’re both in a good position to clearly say and show (body language etc.) yes. Plus, the sex will be SO much better.

Lastly, always protect yourself kids. Nothing ruins fun time with your new fuck buddy like chlamydia. While it’s not that big a deal medically, it can add a gross dynamic and bring about all kinds of icky questions. Condoms are a must, but it’s worthwhile (seriously) to look into more reliable contraception, like the pill, an implant, or Depo-Provera shots.

Losing your virginity is a big deal. Some people may disagree, but it is. It’s your introduction to your sexuality, and sets the stage for how you perceive sex. Put a bit of thought into how you want it to go and make your first ugly bumpin’ a humpin’ thumpin’ good time ;).

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,