March 13, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

Hey pals,

I recognise that drinking on antibiotics in first year was not a good thing to do. However looking back (apart from that shaky night), I know I have no regrets about where I am today: in my final year at university, working 20 hours a week to make sure your voice is represented. I have no doubt that at the end of this year that the dream of strong student representation will have gotten closer.

Imagine how different your university experience would be without a student voice. Think of the things the university could get away with.  They could add more assignments, change assessment dates, not provide lecture slides, not listen or care about what you have to say. Student representation like the class reps, faculty delegates, and other VUWSA functions are here because if we aren’t, no one else will be.

Class reps provide the first point of contact for other students in their class. They are at hand to resolve basic problems, and offer support and guidance. Class reps are, most importantly, the ears and voice of the students at Victoria. They provide an important link between students, academic staff, and the university’s Academic Office.

Being a class rep is an opportunity to know yourself beyond your degree. People say there are opportunities everywhere to get involved without telling you what these opportunities actually are. My friend’s mum once told me that opportunities are things you say yes to, which is completely true. I put my hand up to stand for VUWSA in my first year and haven’t looked back, so I would encourage you to say yes more often to new opportunities.

To do this you need to:

• Learn for more than just your grades
  • Be curious
  • Share your knowledge

Know your bloody mind.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip