March 20, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

When I was given the subject of food to write about, a lot came to mind. Food. Is. Life. As students with limited budgets we can easily neglect food, but we happen to be in a city that has more cafes than New York, so let’s get amongst team.

In first year, food shapes yo’ lyf. Living in a hall it can become a struggle always having to eat at specific times and consuming meals with massive carb intakes. However, every Wednesday from 10.00am–6.00pm, VUWSA runs a fruit and vegetable market in the Tim Beaglehole Courtyard (outside the Hub), on the Kelburn campus. Just make sure you bring your own reusable bags because being good to the environment is important.

Although our life can seem to revolve around university, Wellington has a lot to offer. Midnight Espresso is a personal favourite and has been popular with students for years. This one-stop-shop can keep you going for those all-nighter essays with a closing time of 3.00am. BYOs are also essential to the student experience. Oriental Kingdom (cheap and cheerful) has a handy location on the lower end of Cuba, therefore, a quick exit to Boogie Wonderland is possible. But, for all you Aretha Franklins out there, Red Hill combines food and karaoke. What more could you want from life?

However, VUWSA has got your back covered when life is a tad stressful and those finances are non-existent. Good Bitches Baking supplies some delicious cakes for all those sweet tooths on a Monday morning. We also have free bread every Friday morning to make sure that carb intake is still strong. And, if you are struggling to fill your bellies, VUWSA and Victoria have partnered together to create the Community Pantry. This is a free food parcel service. Come to the either the Kelburn or Pipitea offices and fill out a form and you will get a food parcel on the spot. Sorted.