10 Cloverfield Lane
April 17, 2016 | by  | in Film |

10 Cloverfield Lane

★★★★★

Director: Dan Trachtenberg

If you’re at the cinema in the next few days, you’ll be forgiven for looking up at the screenings board and thinking, “wait, they made a Cloverfield sequel?”

Indeed, in one of Hollywood’s more elusive and obscure follow ups, it would appear that post Deadpool and pre Captain America: Civil War (and however many other sequels/franchise movies we are getting), we have 10 Cloverfield Lane. And, there’s more to talk about than just the fact that this movie exists, because (plot twist) it’s pretty kick-ass. Right out the gate the film slaps you into your seat with one of the most attention grabbing opening titles one could imagine, and insists that you stay frozen in shock/suspense/intrigue/disbelief for the next 100 minutes. Perhaps those with severe anxiety should steer clear, but for anyone with a taste for the thrilling, or the science fiction, or just a well crafted experience, this is the golden ticket.

Plot wise, the film picks up with the same “the world’s ending, what’s going on” vibe of the first film. Initially we are drawn to the character Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) who finds herself with strangers Howard and Emmett in a stranger’s survival bunker with little knowledge of what’s going on outside. During an elaborate (and failed) escape plan, Michelle discovers a woman begging to get into the bunker who is riddled with a severe skin infection, the woman dies, and lo and behold, Michelle decides it might be safer to stay in the bunker with Howard and Emmett.  

Cabin fever abounds, and it’s the interaction between these three characters that cranks this movie up to 11/10. All in all, this movie achieves everything it sets out to do, and forms one of the more memorable film experiences of 2016 thus far. Who knows where this franchise will go, but I know I’ll be first in line for 11 Cloverfield Lane, 12 Cloverfield Lane, Cloverfield Reborn, Cloverfield: The Beginning, and Cloverfield: Legacy, (all working titles at the studio I’m sure).

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,