10 Cloverfield Lane
April 17, 2016 | by  | in Film |

10 Cloverfield Lane

Director: Dan Trachtenberg

If you’re at the cinema in the next few days, you’ll be forgiven for looking up at the screenings board and thinking, “wait, they made a Cloverfield sequel?”

Indeed, in one of Hollywood’s more elusive and obscure follow ups, it would appear that post Deadpool and pre Captain America: Civil War (and however many other sequels/franchise movies we are getting), we have 10 Cloverfield Lane. And, there’s more to talk about than just the fact that this movie exists, because (plot twist) it’s pretty kick-ass. Right out the gate the film slaps you into your seat with one of the most attention grabbing opening titles one could imagine, and insists that you stay frozen in shock/suspense/intrigue/disbelief for the next 100 minutes. Perhaps those with severe anxiety should steer clear, but for anyone with a taste for the thrilling, or the science fiction, or just a well crafted experience, this is the golden ticket.

Plot wise, the film picks up with the same “the world’s ending, what’s going on” vibe of the first film. Initially we are drawn to the character Michelle (Mary Elizabeth Winstead) who finds herself with strangers Howard and Emmett in a stranger’s survival bunker with little knowledge of what’s going on outside. During an elaborate (and failed) escape plan, Michelle discovers a woman begging to get into the bunker who is riddled with a severe skin infection, the woman dies, and lo and behold, Michelle decides it might be safer to stay in the bunker with Howard and Emmett.  

Cabin fever abounds, and it’s the interaction between these three characters that cranks this movie up to 11/10. All in all, this movie achieves everything it sets out to do, and forms one of the more memorable film experiences of 2016 thus far. Who knows where this franchise will go, but I know I’ll be first in line for 11 Cloverfield Lane, 12 Cloverfield Lane, Cloverfield Reborn, Cloverfield: The Beginning, and Cloverfield: Legacy, (all working titles at the studio I’m sure).

1. Vic Books Hacked; Bitcoin Demanded
  2. The Pity and Pleasure of a Shit Asian
  3. Plait My Pits
  5. South Africa Moves to Confiscate White Owned Land
  6. Young Nats Interpret “No” as a Violation of Their Human Rights
  7. House Fire Started and Extinguished by Local Boy
  8. Eyes Turn to Lebanon
  9. Getting to Know Grant Guilford
  10. PGSA: Postgrad Informer