April 17, 2016 | by  | in Visual Arts |

A picture interview with Aoi Yao

Graduating from art school three years ago in England was a real slap in the face. I remember the weird industry vultures preying on anyone who could use Photoshop. Before we knew it, we were being hideously overworked and enthusiastically underpaid.

After a few months I said, fuck this shit, and put all my effort towards opening my own art space called Kollektiv Gallery in Brighton, UK. We reclaimed unloved buildings and revived them into art galleries. Kollektiv attracted a beautiful army of early career creatives and together we ran crowdfunding campaigns, ran mini art festivals, taught workshops, sold artworks, and made new friends.

Over the years Kollektiv has allowed me to meet a lot of artists, so I began recording their stories and practices through interviews. But, these aren’t ordinary interviews, they’re #pictureinterviews. Answering questions with imagery is simply a chance for artists to express themselves using their native language—art.

We’re playing with how artists communicate and tell stories through imagery online. For the audience, the name of the game is interpretation. Sometimes they’re a challenge to make and read, but in the end the answers often inspire both the maker and reader to start a new body of work.

I’ve chosen to show Kollektiv’s 99th interview, Aoi Yao from Taiwan. I love her photograph series, for me the interview is an example of global progression. These days I interview artists from all over the world, but at the time Aoi Yao seemed so far away. Her interview created a sense of satisfaction and reassurance that sticking at something pays off and nobody is too far away to contact.

What intimidates you?

1

What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken?

2

Tell us about your ancestry.

3

Is social media creating a selfish generation?

4

Where is your resting place?

5 (1)

Do you want to be immortal?

6 (1)

Where are you in the moment between asleep and awake?

7 (2)

Please create a portrait of me even though you don’t know my face.

8 (1)

Photograph a secret.

9

Where can we find more of your work?

10

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,