April 17, 2016 | by  | in Visual Arts |

A picture interview with Aoi Yao

Graduating from art school three years ago in England was a real slap in the face. I remember the weird industry vultures preying on anyone who could use Photoshop. Before we knew it, we were being hideously overworked and enthusiastically underpaid.

After a few months I said, fuck this shit, and put all my effort towards opening my own art space called Kollektiv Gallery in Brighton, UK. We reclaimed unloved buildings and revived them into art galleries. Kollektiv attracted a beautiful army of early career creatives and together we ran crowdfunding campaigns, ran mini art festivals, taught workshops, sold artworks, and made new friends.

Over the years Kollektiv has allowed me to meet a lot of artists, so I began recording their stories and practices through interviews. But, these aren’t ordinary interviews, they’re #pictureinterviews. Answering questions with imagery is simply a chance for artists to express themselves using their native language—art.

We’re playing with how artists communicate and tell stories through imagery online. For the audience, the name of the game is interpretation. Sometimes they’re a challenge to make and read, but in the end the answers often inspire both the maker and reader to start a new body of work.

I’ve chosen to show Kollektiv’s 99th interview, Aoi Yao from Taiwan. I love her photograph series, for me the interview is an example of global progression. These days I interview artists from all over the world, but at the time Aoi Yao seemed so far away. Her interview created a sense of satisfaction and reassurance that sticking at something pays off and nobody is too far away to contact.

What intimidates you?

1

What’s the biggest risk you’ve taken?

2

Tell us about your ancestry.

3

Is social media creating a selfish generation?

4

Where is your resting place?

5 (1)

Do you want to be immortal?

6 (1)

Where are you in the moment between asleep and awake?

7 (2)

Please create a portrait of me even though you don’t know my face.

8 (1)

Photograph a secret.

9

Where can we find more of your work?

10

1. With Arms Wide Open: AUSA to return to NZUSA
  3. WEED — Anthony McCarten
  5. The New Animals — Pip Adam
  6. The Queer Agenda
  7. Fazerdaze
  9. The Green Option
  10. Bogan Beautiful (The Musical)
blue

The Things We Share

: - SPONSORED - As a Pākehā kid, when I first learnt to mihi, I found that building a sense of my own whakapapa was a kind of patchwork, something I could stitch together by pulling threads from family stories. The waka I chose, or borrowed from my father, was called the Wanganel