April 17, 2016 | by  | in Brodie HYFIO |

An interview with my Mum.

Brodie: What’s the best advice anyone has ever given you?

Mum: [laughs]. Well… when I was in labour with you the midwife gave me laughing gas and told me, “just BREATHE baby. Just breathe.” That’s the best advice I’ve heard.

B: Off to a great start—I’m not sure if you mean to tell people to breathe more laughing gas? Anyway, what do you wish you’d figured out earlier in life?

M: To not sweat the small stuff. Oh! And to pick your battles with your children!! [giggles].

B: What’s the best advice you’ve given to me?

M: Be true to your heart and self.

B: On the flip side of that, what’s the worst advice you’ve ever given to your kids?

M: Oh probably telling you the crazy things I did before I had children and then ending it with “learn from my mistakes… don’t ever drink tequila.” I think when you tell your children to not do something they are going to do it anyway!

B: Well you’re lucky because I don’t remember that. What has been the hardest thing for you to figure out?

M: Who I am. I’m fuckin not sure still. And that I don’t know where I belong.

B: Who has been the person who has helped you to figure life out the most?

M: The strong females in my life. It’s important for women to have a support group of girlfriends!

B: What advice would you give to a first year who might be feeling a bit lost?

M: Remember why you’re at uni, and look at the bigger picture. Holidays are just around the corner! Reach out and ask for help when you need it. Most importantly, ring your parents regularly! Every Sunday night! But, remember that they don’t like to hear that you’re hungover every Sunday.

B: Parents always know, huh? Do you have any parting words?

M: Make the most of life and be kind. If we all did one act of random nice-ness each day the world would be nicer. A five year-old told me this; a mean boy at school wanted to borrow her crayon and she wouldn’t let him until he did something nice. The world would be a better place if we listened to her. They need to listen to her in parliament! [giggles].

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip