April 17, 2016 | by  | in Being Well |

Being Well

For students finishing university, the thought of job interviews may make you feel awkward, scared, and completely uncomfortable. Here are a few tips to help you feel better, and to prepare you for an interview when you’re trying to land your dream job!

1. Apply for a job you are passionate about! It’ll be tough to convey how badly you want a job if deep down it doesn’t interest you one bit. You owe it to yourself to apply for something you want to be a part of!
  2. Be yourself! You’ll feel much more comfortable if you stay true to who you really are during the conversation. If your personality isn’t a great fit for the job, you’re better off waiting to find one that is. Stay present and focused on the conversation that is happening. Smile, breathe, and take it one question at a time.
  3. Ask questions! Get to know more about your potential role, the organization, and what your interviewer likes about the job. Doing this will help show you are interested and engaged in the conversation. It always helps to research the company ahead of time and even have a few questions in mind. This shows you are prepared and serious about the job.
  4. Remember that the job needs you just as much as you need them! Give yourself positive self-talk, be confident, and wear something you feel great in. Your attitude will rub off on everyone you meet!
  5. Send a thank-you email to let the interviewer know how great it was to meet them, what role you’re applying for, a key point you talked about during the interview, and that you’re looking forward to hearing from them soon. A short note can go a long way!

Vic Careers and Employment have great resources and tips on campus, too. You’ve got this!!