Drop everything, a craft beer didn’t win best lager

83 brewers presented 400 different beers and ciders to a panel of experts who judged their creations at the 2016 New World Beer and Cider Awards.

A broad range of brews were presented, that included wheat beers, low alcohol beers, speciality beers, and several cider categories. Experts assessed the brewers on qualities including technical excellence, balance, and drinkability.

Judge Michael Donaldson said New Zealand breweries were producing world class brews.

The mainstream Steinlager Pure took out best lager, while the pale ale and IPA awards were both handed out to Auckland brewery EPIC.

Aro Valley brewery Garage Project won the best in class medal for American-style ale, while Kapiti Coast based Tuatara took out the award for best pilsner.

Garage project has been recognised as the fastest growing company in New Zealand, growing more than 600 percent in one year. The brewery has plans to continue experimenting with their brews this year, saying “in Wellington it really is a perfect storm… there is this audience that is willing to try new things.”

1. Raw Collective, Jinz Moss, and Makeshift Movements
  2. Podcast: Interview with Get Your Hands Off My Dogcast
  4. Euthanasia Case Before the Courts
  5. We Can’t Take It for Granted: Academic Freedom in Hungary
  6. Free West Papua
  7. Pressured Lecturers, Cheating Students
  8. National Sexual Health Helpline Underway
  9. Tinder Surprise
  10. Populist Reaction Unlikely

Coffee Thoughts

: - SPONSORED - According to the NZ History website, “Wellington’s café culture is today an integral part of its identity as a city.” It’s true, everyone in this city seems to love coffee and we have an ample amount of cafes to keep the love brewing. I have been aware of t