Drop everything, a craft beer didn’t win best lager

83 brewers presented 400 different beers and ciders to a panel of experts who judged their creations at the 2016 New World Beer and Cider Awards.

A broad range of brews were presented, that included wheat beers, low alcohol beers, speciality beers, and several cider categories. Experts assessed the brewers on qualities including technical excellence, balance, and drinkability.

Judge Michael Donaldson said New Zealand breweries were producing world class brews.

The mainstream Steinlager Pure took out best lager, while the pale ale and IPA awards were both handed out to Auckland brewery EPIC.

Aro Valley brewery Garage Project won the best in class medal for American-style ale, while Kapiti Coast based Tuatara took out the award for best pilsner.

Garage project has been recognised as the fastest growing company in New Zealand, growing more than 600 percent in one year. The brewery has plans to continue experimenting with their brews this year, saying “in Wellington it really is a perfect storm… there is this audience that is willing to try new things.”

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,