Eye on the Exec

After arriving sweaty and smelly post-netball game, we sat down to enjoy the VUWSA executive meeting. VUWSA General Manager Indigo was present at the meeting via Skype.

The meeting went into committee (which means we aren’t allowed to report on what was said, but we were allowed to listen). So we stared at the slices of pizza on the table, and heard interesting things that we can’t report on—yet. We can say Indigo got cold and put on a jacket.

When finally we came out of committee 10,000 hours later, we were allowed to report again. Indigo gave her General Manager’s report, about what she’s been up to and what she’s going to be up to. Then she put on a scarf. It must have been cold at her house.

A health and safety report confirmed that O-Week was on the whole pretty safe, and the incidents that occurred were not terrible or life-threatening. No one died. There were intoxicated students that had to be looked after or walked home, VUWSA being like their cool older sister that looked after them, but didn’t tell mum.

We got a debrief of VUWSA’s recent Initial General Meeting, which we also attended so we are now experts on it. A key observation here which stemmed from a student’s question at the meeting, was that students seem to think that VUWSA runs clubs. Salient can confirm they totally don’t. So when things are going wrong don’t blame VUWSA, blame the university. VUWSA DON’T OWN CLUBS. Cool.

Each exec member then proceeded to present their team report. Jacinta was complimented on the cool photo of Wellington she used, and was asked who the photo credit responded, “it’s just me being a boss.” Yas kween.

She spoke about how the university is looking at outsourcing foundation studies courses for international students. People wondered if the university would outsource all of its courses. Rory asked, “what does a university do if it doesn’t teach?” He said it was a symptom of the current education model, and international students are being treated as an opportunity for revenue. VUWSA is not impressed. The university will hear them roar in the coming weeks. Watch yo’ back.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip