Eye on the exec: Special IGM edition!

Last week VUWSA held their annual IGM (Initial General Meeting). If you’re struggling to figure out which VUWSA meeting this is, it’s the one where the exec pen students in like sheep and bribe them to stick around with a promise of pizza at the meeting’s conclusion.

VUWSA president Jonathan Gee was looking casual in a navy quilted bomber jacket, letting the attendees know he was hip, cool, and one of us.

Following formalities, Gee said it has been a “successful year of VUWSA.” Such successes included launching the fruit and vegetable market, rolling out of the Know Your Rights campaign, providing 16,000 meals during stress-free study week, and helping provide a bajillion jobs through Student Job Search—a website VUWSA helped fund and still contribute to.

When asked about the 2015 net profit loss of $231,000, VUWSA said it was kind of Vic Books’ fault. In response to a question on the projected $50,000 deficit for 2016, Jono said it could have been bigger, and that no cuts to services had been made.

Regarding “the next chapter for VUWSA,” the implementation of a new strategic plan is being put on hold until 2017. The 2011–2015 strategic plan expired at the end of last year, but with major structural changes occurring since the last plan—primarily the introduction of voluntary membership—VUWSA will be taking some extra time to figure this shit out properly as they are currently “at a crossroads.”

Questions from the audience took us through to the meeting’s conclusion, with Jono responding to some curly questions with the grace and ease of a seasoned diplomat. From these questions we learned:

1. Nap rooms were a Zwaan policy, and were not Gee’s election promise. The Bubble is the closest we’ll ever get to a nap room. To be fair they have free fruit, cups of tea, bean bags, and lots of fun activities.
  2. VUWSA are firmly standing by their pro-choice stance.
  3. VUWSA is well aware of the lack of a queer space on campus and are continuing to push for this, but said it was likely to be more of a “long-term” thing…

The IGM then closed and students were let loose on the pizzas. Player of the day goes to Engagements Vice President Nathaniel who went above and beyond not only as a mic runner who hurdled furniture in The Hub like a college track athlete, but also for being the only exec member to seem genuinely concerned about locating the gluten-free and vegan pizzas for those with dietary requirements. You go Glen Coco.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,