April 10, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

I’m writing this column post Initial General Meeting, which we held in the Hub last Wednesday. I’m still on a buzz from all the awesome questions that were asked by you, our members. I also really enjoyed having my voice booming in the Hub for a good 45 minutes (lol). For those who couldn’t make it, one of the highlights for me was the opportunity as your president to talk about what your students’ association will do for you in 2016. This covered three broad themes:

The next ‘chapter’ of VUWSA

VUWSA is at a crossroads. Our Strategic Plan 2011–2015 has now expired (RIP), and we are moving into the next chapter of VUWSA. In my last column I talked about our recent history which included the need for us to adjust to the post-Voluntary Student Membership environment. Over the last five years we have been in the preparation stage. The 2016 executive has now been tasked with crafting a plan for the next five years. We’ve decided to delay the launch of our Strategic Plan until 2017. The reason for this is to ensure we get the process right and have a conversation with you, as our members, about what you think the next chapter of VUWSA should be.

Student-Friendly Wellington

With the local body elections coming up, we will be campaigning for candidates to champion student-friendly policies. We’re a significant part of Wellington, and VUWSA will be working hard to ensure that your voice is heard by whoever leads this city.

Stronger Student Voice

We want to build our engagement with you. You might have noticed a few changes this year, such as our monthly newsletter, new office at Pipitea, going into halls, and being the student voice in the media—this is all so that we can have more opportunities to connect with you and represent your needs as best we can.

We’ve had a big three months already and we’ve started as we mean to go on. The exec and I are really excited to engaging with you more throughout the rest of 2016!