April 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Lately I’ve been thinking a lot about the future. People keep asking me what I want to do after being VUWSA president (m8, it’s only April). They keep asking me what my dream job is. And, to be honest, I don’t really know.

Many of you are probably in the same boat. In the aftermath of the dreaded six week dip, you might be asking yourself why you’re studying a certain subject, or wondering where exactly your degree will take you after you graduate. For example, many of my friends have decided to keep studying after their bachelors because it’s a big scary world out there and they don’t have their shit together yet.

The reality is that you don’t need to have your shit together right now. You don’t always need to have a plan. What you really need is to meaningfully reflect on your present situation, and ask yourself what skills you are getting from that.

Last week, the executive and I reached our first 100 days in office. This was a good opportunity for some of that positive reflection. For me, I don’t know what my dream job is, but what I do know is that I love my current job and that when I reflect on the skills I’m getting. I’m aware of how they will equip me to grasp any opportunities that arise in the future.

If you’ve done some reflecting and want to be ready to grab opportunities when they come, then I’d highly recommend that you do two things:

1. Contact a student advisor to see how you’re progressing with your degree (I met one last week and found out that I have a BA already LOL).
  2. Make an appointment with VicCareers to explore some career ideas, or even just to confirm that you’re getting the skills that you want and need.

University is all about better understanding yourself and who you want to be. Learn to embrace uncertainty and continually reflect on what you’re doing. If you do these two things then you’re doing uni right!

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop