April 10, 2016 | by  | in PGSA |

PhD Call Centre an Act of Kindness

Commerce PhD students may have to research in one room that seats 54 people. Instead of having a space that generally sits 12-15 academics in individual offices, the room will have a strong resemblance to that of a call-centre.

A search involving “Call Centre” on any rated employment site in New Zealand yields hundreds of positions. So, fear not, PHD commerce students, your CV can now boast “Call Centre agent, three plus years experience.” You will have a gateway to employment, that portrays commitment, discipline, persistence, resilience, and loyalty. PhD students from Victoria Business School, awaken from your slumber—your employability is about to be generously enriched.

Many years ago the Minimum Resources Agreement (MRA) was created in order to make clear that basic resources that will be provided to all research students. The MRA states that “dedicated space means approximately 4-5m2,” but the agreement also states that this may vary depending on types of research, and that space allotted for students may be independent, or common facilities.

The intention of the MRA is for the university to “provide environments to gather, analyse, develop, create and communicate the products of research.” Coincidently, these are also the core characteristics needed to be successful as a call centre agent. Hopefully you didn’t have a hunger for knowledge and want to become an academic, because it seems you’re just another revolving number.

Upcoming Event

Postgraduate Quiz Night: May 11, at 5:00pm in the Hunter Lodge

Grab your friends and see how many questions you can get right! Win free coffee, movie tickets, vouchers to stores and restaurants, and much more!

Register your team of four to six postgraduate/staff members, by emailing sue.kelly@vuw.ac.nz. Individuals can also register. (Staff teams are welcome, but at least one postgraduate student has to be on the team.) Cost is $5.00 per person, and all proceeds go to the Child Poverty Action Group.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city