April 3, 2016 | by  | in Dr Feelgood |

Porn for Chicks

Porn is primarily designed for a male audience, and correspondingly, men comprise a large percentage of viewership stats. Generally, it is presumed that all or most men regularly watch and enjoy porn, whereas it is unusual for a woman to freely admit the same thing. Women who watch porn are branded as kinky or dirty (not necessarily a bad thing, but still, who likes labels?), or sometimes, are judged as being “bad feminists.” The porn industry has come under fire from women’s rights groups for perpetuating the objectification and exploitation of women. For the most part, this is true. It’s obvious to see how females are reduced to tits, ass, orifices, and conquests in heterosexual porn, with studies that demonstrate how viewers become ‘desensitised’ to the progressive extremes of pornography.

As a woman and a feminist, I wanted a way to enjoy porn without feeling like I was perpetuating a dangerous and unhealthy sexual culture. Alas, Rule 34 came to the rescue and I discovered feminist porn. Filmed from a different perspective to regular porn, feminist porn portrays women as active, consenting participants in sex, rather than passive receptors. Male actors are given real screen time, instead of being disembodied penises. It shows sex in a more realistic way, showing all the fun and extreme elements of regular pornography (think: orgy/double penetration/cream pie), while allowing the actress to express her desires as a respected equal. The differences are fairly subtle, but it changes the overall tone of the scene significantly.

Feminist porn perpetuates the idea that women have healthy libidos like men do, and it’s a whole lot more satisfying as a viewer to see an accurate and genuine depiction of that. It’s not angry. It’s not boring. It’s just a good fucking time.

And believe me, you won’t miss the fake moans.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,