April 17, 2016 | by  | in Dr Feelgood |

Sex with the Ex

We’ve all been there haven’t we? Had a moment of weakness where the temptation and familiarity of a past relationship becomes too much to resist. Maybe you were drunk, or maybe you were in a bad headspace, maybe you were just horny. Regardless, some internal rationality gauge went haywire because you’re all of a sudden doing the nasty with someone you swore you’d never share the same fucking breathing space with again.  

As someone who’s dabbled in this kind of masochistic behaviour before, I really shouldn’t be schooling thousands of readers (lol, a gal can dream) about iffy sexual decisions. But, to be fair, it’s an easy mistake to make. I’ve booty-called to emotionally band-aid after a shitty breakup. I’ve hornily hit up an ex because I knew they wouldn’t require all the graft of a new partner. I’ve even slept with a guy on the off chance that it would rekindle what we had.

Put in such blunt terms, it’s a bit fucked isn’t it?

You’re running the risk of catching feels for someone who is out of your life for (let’s assume) a bloody good reason. And, if you don’t, they could. Which means that you’ve led them down the garden path emotionally, and that’s just a bit shit. It’s important to remember why you split up in the first place. Even if you ended on good terms, there must have been a reason why things didn’t last. Sometimes, relationships just naturally run their course. It hurts like hell, but it’s probably better to let sleeping dogs lie than fuck things up further with sex.

At the end of the day, it’s on you to do right by yourself and the person you’re sleeping with. Make sure you’ve considered all the other emotional yuckness you could be dredging up and if it still feels right, then that’s swell. Remember: if Ross and Rachel can get their shit together, there’s hope for us all.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties