Students rally for a safer city

Hundreds of Auckland students and residents have rallied in Albert Park, a park close to the university campus, demanding that measures be put in place to make the city safer at night.

The rally took place in response to the attack of two University of Auckland students in the park by a group of unknown assailants.

University of Auckland Students’ Association (AUSA) president Will Matthews said he “didn’t think it was acceptable anyone should be so at risk in public places.” He added that, “while everyone has to exercise a degree of personal responsibility, we have the right to feel safe in Albert Park.”

AUSA’s Women’s Rights Officers Aditi Gorasia and Diana Qiu said people needed to start looking at the “root cause” of the problem, rather than just “victim blaming” those who walk through the park at night.

AUSA’s petition calling for Auckland Council to “take action to address the unacceptable safety risks in Albert Park” has almost reached its goal of 2500 signatures.

The petition states that at minimum the park needs to be more well lit, have access to security phones, and a physical security presence.

1. Your silent cries left unheard
  2. How it Works: On the Climate Change Response (Zero Carbon) Amendment Bill
  3. Is Vic Books Missing Out on the Living Wage Campaign?
  4. Jesus Christ Super-Nah, Saviour’s New Political Party May Need Miracle
  5. Issue 12 – Friendship
  6. SWAT: Friendship Column
  7. Inevitable Entanglement
  8. HOROSCOPE WEEK OF JUNE 3: FRIENDSHIP
  9. Liquid Knowledge: On Israel and Palestine
  10. An Ode to the Aunties