Students rally for a safer city

Hundreds of Auckland students and residents have rallied in Albert Park, a park close to the university campus, demanding that measures be put in place to make the city safer at night.

The rally took place in response to the attack of two University of Auckland students in the park by a group of unknown assailants.

University of Auckland Students’ Association (AUSA) president Will Matthews said he “didn’t think it was acceptable anyone should be so at risk in public places.” He added that, “while everyone has to exercise a degree of personal responsibility, we have the right to feel safe in Albert Park.”

AUSA’s Women’s Rights Officers Aditi Gorasia and Diana Qiu said people needed to start looking at the “root cause” of the problem, rather than just “victim blaming” those who walk through the park at night.

AUSA’s petition calling for Auckland Council to “take action to address the unacceptable safety risks in Albert Park” has almost reached its goal of 2500 signatures.

The petition states that at minimum the park needs to be more well lit, have access to security phones, and a physical security presence.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,