April 3, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

Writing this is very sad and hard.

Taboo is everything that’s really hard to talk about. It’s usually a topic we don’t dive into at all. There are topics which are considered taboo like periods and stuff, but I really want to discuss something else. Something that is the nitty gritty essence of a taboo subject; something that makes us all feel a bit weird inside.

A lot of us don’t like ourselves. We feel like we just aren’t good enough. We aren’t making enough money, we don’t see our friends enough, or we aren’t ‘improving’ our lives enough. We feel like we aren’t good enough and we don’t really talk about it because we don’t want to seem like we are struggling. This can circulate into a feeling of loneliness within ourselves and we don’t talk about it because we don’t want to acknowledge it. We don’t want to dive into a sensitive topic because acknowledging it makes it too real and that is terrifying.

I think that from being at university and onwards, there is a huge pressure to seem like you “have your shit together.” If you can’t seem to find that perfect work, study, and social life balance—then you’re a failure, or life just sucks. This may not strictly be studying the right degree and getting the right job, but looking after yourself too. I think it’s important for me to say that looking after yourself is actually not easy for a lot of people. Sometimes I don’t go to the gym for weeks, I forget to pack myself a healthy meal, and might not have the mental energy to go to a party. It’s funny that we all seem to feel this way at some point in our lives but don’t express it with others or we simply don’t know how.

Sometimes talking about these things can be comforting, because you’ll find that you aren’t the only person to feel like this. The process of building a life as a student, and emerging as an adult is not easy. Let’s try not be silent about this. How we feel about our lives shouldn’t be taboo.

1. Feelings
  2. VUWSA President Interviews
  3. Candidates forum
  4. Day of Silence strikes a chord
  5. Rating the mayoral candidates
  6. Lincoln University on life support
  7. PM won’t pay on the first date
  8. TEU vs. VUW
  9. Jimmy Neutron on campus
  10. Fun News

Digitales

: And here’s the rub with AI: it’s frightening because we trust it too much, despite it bearing the frailties, foibles, and fallibilities of the humans who created it.