April 10, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec

When considering the word environment, it is unfortunate that the first things that spring to my mind are the all the environmental issues that we are currently facing.

There is an overproduction of substances and products which are harmful to nature, and to the wildlife (as well as to us). A vivid image that sticks out for me is that of an albatross carcass with a belly full of plastic, or a turtle whose shell was unable to form properly due to being stuck in a plastic six-pack ring.

I feel a great sadness for all the inhabitants of Earth, and for the natural environment. I feel that we as sentient and rational beings are shirking our duty as custodians of the planet.

Although it can feel at times overwhelming, it’s not all doom and gloom. We as individuals, and as a collective, can make changes, and even the smallest change in the right direction can make a difference. There has been a groundswell recently in the number of environmental initiatives and ways in which students (and staff members) can get involved around campus.

The Victoria branch of the Plastic Diet is aimed at reducing single-use plastic waste and consumption. They are holding their initial meeting this Wednesday, April 13 from 5.00–7.00pm in room SU217, in the Student Union building. Come along to find out how you can get involved.

Another initiative on campus is run by Gecko, the established environmental group on campus. They run a low-waste, organic food co-operative, and are about to get started on some other initiatives.

These are only two examples. There is also a Climate Change Clinic, a group of students based at the Pipitea Campus. Also, a range of other clubs are always looking for ways to create a more environmentally-friendly campus. If you’re interested in any of these groups, or want to know other ways you can get involved, flick an email to wellbeing@vuwsa.org.nz for further info.

1. Buying a Prius and solar panels for my summer bach because climate change xo
  2. VUWSA AGM: Election Results, A Cheeky Deficit, and Constitutional Stuff
  3. School Strike for Climate Staying Hot in Fight Against Global Warming
  4. Toitū te Ao: A Week of Celebrating a Better Future
  5. Government Announces New Mental Health Policies
  6. Are You There Youths? It’s me, people who want to be your mayor
  7. VUW Launches Plan to be Carbon Neutral by 2030
  8. Canta Editor Calling For Editorial Independence
  9. Issue 22 – Eve
  10. Dear Nathaniel