April 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec: Skype Interview Etiquette

Gone are the days where face-to-face interviews were the only way to get a job. Skype interviews are a happening thing and chances are you’ll come across one or two in your working life. So what the hell do you do in a Skype interview? How do you show your sturdy AF handshake? Do you look at the camera or the computer screen? Most importantly, do you have to wear pants?

I have consulted my trusty friend Google to try and answer these important questions.

1) Apparently a digital handshake is real. It requires a “slow, confident, professional, firm nod.” I imagine something along the lines of when you see someone on the street you’ve only met once—you’re not ready to go in for the wave, but a cool, confident nod does the trick.

2) Looking at the camera is the only way to maintain direct eye contact during a Skype interview. But how unnatural is that? What if the interviewer has some key facial giveaways—you’d never know because you’re too busy looking at that tiny dot at the top of the screen!

3) Obviously you can determine what the interviewer will see on Skype, so why should you wear pants? Unless there’s a chance the interviewer will ask you to stand up for some reason, not wearing pants could make you feel more confident and actually increase your chances in the interview!

This may be questionable advice and more a reflection of my attempt to be pants-free at every opportunity. So if this doesn’t help you, definitely whip down to Vic Careers because they are a much more reliable source than me (and Google)!

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop