April 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec: Skype Interview Etiquette

Gone are the days where face-to-face interviews were the only way to get a job. Skype interviews are a happening thing and chances are you’ll come across one or two in your working life. So what the hell do you do in a Skype interview? How do you show your sturdy AF handshake? Do you look at the camera or the computer screen? Most importantly, do you have to wear pants?

I have consulted my trusty friend Google to try and answer these important questions.

1) Apparently a digital handshake is real. It requires a “slow, confident, professional, firm nod.” I imagine something along the lines of when you see someone on the street you’ve only met once—you’re not ready to go in for the wave, but a cool, confident nod does the trick.

2) Looking at the camera is the only way to maintain direct eye contact during a Skype interview. But how unnatural is that? What if the interviewer has some key facial giveaways—you’d never know because you’re too busy looking at that tiny dot at the top of the screen!

3) Obviously you can determine what the interviewer will see on Skype, so why should you wear pants? Unless there’s a chance the interviewer will ask you to stand up for some reason, not wearing pants could make you feel more confident and actually increase your chances in the interview!

This may be questionable advice and more a reflection of my attempt to be pants-free at every opportunity. So if this doesn’t help you, definitely whip down to Vic Careers because they are a much more reliable source than me (and Google)!

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip