April 17, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

VUWSA Exec: Skype Interview Etiquette

Gone are the days where face-to-face interviews were the only way to get a job. Skype interviews are a happening thing and chances are you’ll come across one or two in your working life. So what the hell do you do in a Skype interview? How do you show your sturdy AF handshake? Do you look at the camera or the computer screen? Most importantly, do you have to wear pants?

I have consulted my trusty friend Google to try and answer these important questions.

1) Apparently a digital handshake is real. It requires a “slow, confident, professional, firm nod.” I imagine something along the lines of when you see someone on the street you’ve only met once—you’re not ready to go in for the wave, but a cool, confident nod does the trick.

2) Looking at the camera is the only way to maintain direct eye contact during a Skype interview. But how unnatural is that? What if the interviewer has some key facial giveaways—you’d never know because you’re too busy looking at that tiny dot at the top of the screen!

3) Obviously you can determine what the interviewer will see on Skype, so why should you wear pants? Unless there’s a chance the interviewer will ask you to stand up for some reason, not wearing pants could make you feel more confident and actually increase your chances in the interview!

This may be questionable advice and more a reflection of my attempt to be pants-free at every opportunity. So if this doesn’t help you, definitely whip down to Vic Careers because they are a much more reliable source than me (and Google)!

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city