Whatever happened to Karori campus?

In the months since Karori campus closed some students have voiced concerns about the change in culture on Kelburn campus and increasingly stretched resources. A main area of concern is the capacity of the library and availability of seating.

VUWSA Wellbeing and Sustainability Officer Anya Maule told Salient that library staff are currently doing a head-count, but have suggested that the library is “already operating at 85% capacity.” She also noted that this could pose a problem for students during study week, the busiest time for the library. The increase of bums on seats could also be contributed to the extension of the enrolment capacity to 22,000, from 20,000 in 2015.

This year has also seen the consolidation of resources back at the Kelburn campus, according to Director of Student Academic Services (SAS), Pam Thorburn. She noted that SAS “monitor the service workloads and take a strategic approach to resource allocation,” often after discussions at the Advisory Committee on Student Services Levy, at which VUWSA acts as representation on behalf of the student body.

David Crabbe, Dean of Education, said “there are significant social and intellectual benefits [for Education and Foundation students] in being in the heart of the buzzing scholarly community at Kelburn.”

Previously, students located at the Karori campus had to come down to Kelburn to buy textbooks and fulfil other administrative tasks.

It was publicly gazetted in April last year that the university had been granted the title to Crown land that included the campus on Donald Street. This allows the land to be sold by the university.

The university is expected to announce their decision on the repurposing of the Karori campus later this year. A university spokesperson has said that as of yet, there are no definite plans for the campus.

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip