May 1, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

A list of things that will help keep us healthy and pain-free this winter

Warmer, drier flats as a result of the Government’s new ‘minimum standards’  (they are crap)

Warmer, drier flats as a result of the City Council’s rental Warrent of Fitness  (they still haven’t done it)

Wellington’s endless summer of 2016  (it will end)

Well spaced out assignment deadlines and stress free hand-ins

Consistent eight hour sleeps (I wish)

Healthy, home cooked meals every night (I’m looking at you Te Puni)

Bloody great wellbeing

The odds might seem stacked against you, because they are. Many before you have done them—and you can too!

Of course we talk about the importance of staying on top of things, being orgnanised, maintaining balance etc., and these things are really important. But students are asked to walk a very fine line in order to be successful, and at times it all gets overwhelming.

There are things available to help keep you going. If you didn’t get a flu shot at any of the drop-in clinics, don’t worry, you haven’t missed out. We have one final clinc at Te Pūtahi Atawhai on Wednesday 11th May at 9.30am. From then on just visit Student Health at either Pip or Kelburn and book an appointment for one. If you’re a vulnerable student (ie, you live in a cold, damp flat), a flu shot can really reduce your chance of getting sick.

If you’re struggling with poor mental health, the wait times to see a counsellor can be challenging (ie. the demand on the service), but try not to let this put you off. If you do need to be seen immediately, Student Health has systems to facilitate this. If not, a session with a counsellor, even if it’s a couple of weeks down the line, will probably be beneficial.

For those that wouldn’t usually seek help when they need it, why not give it a go? The stigma around getting mental health support, particularly among dudes, still very much exists. The public health system certainly fails to provide adequate support, so why not make the most of the counsellors while you are paying for them at university?

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip