May 1, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

A list of things that will help keep us healthy and pain-free this winter

Warmer, drier flats as a result of the Government’s new ‘minimum standards’  (they are crap)

Warmer, drier flats as a result of the City Council’s rental Warrent of Fitness  (they still haven’t done it)

Wellington’s endless summer of 2016  (it will end)

Well spaced out assignment deadlines and stress free hand-ins

Consistent eight hour sleeps (I wish)

Healthy, home cooked meals every night (I’m looking at you Te Puni)

Bloody great wellbeing

The odds might seem stacked against you, because they are. Many before you have done them—and you can too!

Of course we talk about the importance of staying on top of things, being orgnanised, maintaining balance etc., and these things are really important. But students are asked to walk a very fine line in order to be successful, and at times it all gets overwhelming.

There are things available to help keep you going. If you didn’t get a flu shot at any of the drop-in clinics, don’t worry, you haven’t missed out. We have one final clinc at Te Pūtahi Atawhai on Wednesday 11th May at 9.30am. From then on just visit Student Health at either Pip or Kelburn and book an appointment for one. If you’re a vulnerable student (ie, you live in a cold, damp flat), a flu shot can really reduce your chance of getting sick.

If you’re struggling with poor mental health, the wait times to see a counsellor can be challenging (ie. the demand on the service), but try not to let this put you off. If you do need to be seen immediately, Student Health has systems to facilitate this. If not, a session with a counsellor, even if it’s a couple of weeks down the line, will probably be beneficial.

For those that wouldn’t usually seek help when they need it, why not give it a go? The stigma around getting mental health support, particularly among dudes, still very much exists. The public health system certainly fails to provide adequate support, so why not make the most of the counsellors while you are paying for them at university?

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,