May 22, 2016 | by  | in Being Well |

Being Well

Why is it that we turn to sad, melancholic music when we’re going through heartache, turn up “Eye of the Tiger” before a football match or afternoon run, find the classical music station on Spotify when we’re writing essays, and listen to Beyoncé on repeat when are power-walking to the bus or fighting evening traffic in the car?

Music is a common and useful way to express ourselves. As humans, we experience a wide range of emotions and music helps us tap into what we’re feeling. Do you ever feel like you can’t quite find the right song to match your mood? If so, check out some recommendations below. Enjoy!

A suggested music playlist to match your mood

Feeling inspired: “I Will Remain”—Matthew and the Atlas; “The Stranger”—Lord Huron; “I of the Storm”—Of Monsters and Men.

Feeling sleepy: “Green Eyes”—Coldplay; “Shelter”—Ray LaMontagne; “Lovers’ Carvings”—Bibio

Feeling light and joyful: “Otis”—Houndmouth; “Simple As This”—Jake Bugg; “Keep It Loose, Keep It Tight”—Amos Lee

Feeling nostalgic: “Coming Home”—Leon Bridges; “But It’s Alright”—J. J. Jackson; “Come Go With Me”—The Del-Vikings

Feeling ready to work out: “You Be Killin Em”—Fabolous; “Little Secrets”—Passion Pit; “Hold You”—Gyptian

Feeling sad: “Skinny Love”—Bon Iver; “Midnight On The Interstate”—Trampled By Turtles; “Don’t Wait For Me”—Josh Garrels

Feeling the love: “Fool For You”—John Butler Trio; “Work Song”—Hozier; “The Mtn Song”—Rayland Baxter

Feeling relaxed: “Flowers In Your Hair”—The Lumineers; “Will Do”—TV On The Radio; “Intro”—The XX

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city