cap america
May 15, 2016 | by  | in Film |

Captain America: Civil War (2016)

★★★★

Directors: Anthony Russo & Joe Russo

While not as impressive or gripping as Captain America: Winter Soldier, the Russo brothers deliver a satisfying and fun followup to their first film. Filled with amazing action, mostly impressive characters, and thought provoking ideas, the brothers have made a film that balances out a plethora of superheroes—something that Zack Snyder and Joss Whedon could only imagine.

The story of Civil War is centered around the differing ideologies of Tony Stark (Robert Downey Jr) and Captain America (Chris Evans) and their ultimate confrontation, yet it is Cap’s relationship with Bucky (Sebastian Stan) that is most important. This relationship helps bring emotional depth to the film and also helps raise the stakes in regard to the other characters relationships.

The cast is impressive in the roles that most of them have become comfortable with. Vision (Paul Bettany) is endlessly entertaining, and his relationship to Scarlet Witch (Elizabeth Olsen), who thankfully dials back the Russian accent, is an interesting storyline I hope is explored further in the future.

The newcomers hold their own against the Marvel veterans. Chadwick Boseman shines in his regal role as Black Panther, with amazing action scenes and a very cool costume. I can’t wait to see Black Panther’s solo film, but his thunder is somewhat stolen by another newcomer, Spider-Man (Tom Holland).

By and far the most interesting part of the film, Holland as the ‘web-slinger’ is nothing short of superb. Though he is for the most part expendable to the story, Holland is the best, kindest, and most accurate Spider-Man ever seen on screen. During the visually stunning and fun airport sequence, he steals the show with some great lines and cool moves. I can’t imagine how depressing the film might have been without him, or Ant-Man (Paul Rudd), to bring the funny.

All in all, the Russo brothers have delivered another top-tier story in Marvel’s ever-growing cinematic universe. Now, onwards to Infinity War.

1