Democracy still works

Andrew Little’s Healthy Homes Bill has passed its first reading in the House, 61 votes to 60. The bill was supported by the Greens, the Māori Party, New Zealand First, and United Future.

If successful following its third reading, it would require landlords to meet minimum heating, ventilation, and drainage standards.

That the bill passed the first reading is a huge success for VUWSA, who have been campaigning for increased rental standards for several years.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee said, “this is big news for students. If the bill can deliver on its promise, this is the beginning of the end for cold and mould in our flats.”

He did however add that it “falls short of a Rental WoF, but it is a huge step in the right direction by including ventilation and heating in the standard.”

VUWSA’s Welfare Vice President Rory Lenihan-Ikin was also positive about the it passing, telling Salient, “we look forward to the new bill upgrading the paper-thin 1978 insulation to the 2008 building code” as Phil Twyford is pushing for.

The Healthy Homes Bill will now go to Select Committee where submissions can be made.

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city