Democracy still works

Andrew Little’s Healthy Homes Bill has passed its first reading in the House, 61 votes to 60. The bill was supported by the Greens, the Māori Party, New Zealand First, and United Future.

If successful following its third reading, it would require landlords to meet minimum heating, ventilation, and drainage standards.

That the bill passed the first reading is a huge success for VUWSA, who have been campaigning for increased rental standards for several years.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee said, “this is big news for students. If the bill can deliver on its promise, this is the beginning of the end for cold and mould in our flats.”

He did however add that it “falls short of a Rental WoF, but it is a huge step in the right direction by including ventilation and heating in the standard.”

VUWSA’s Welfare Vice President Rory Lenihan-Ikin was also positive about the it passing, telling Salient, “we look forward to the new bill upgrading the paper-thin 1978 insulation to the 2008 building code” as Phil Twyford is pushing for.

The Healthy Homes Bill will now go to Select Committee where submissions can be made.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,