Democracy still works

Andrew Little’s Healthy Homes Bill has passed its first reading in the House, 61 votes to 60. The bill was supported by the Greens, the Māori Party, New Zealand First, and United Future.

If successful following its third reading, it would require landlords to meet minimum heating, ventilation, and drainage standards.

That the bill passed the first reading is a huge success for VUWSA, who have been campaigning for increased rental standards for several years.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee said, “this is big news for students. If the bill can deliver on its promise, this is the beginning of the end for cold and mould in our flats.”

He did however add that it “falls short of a Rental WoF, but it is a huge step in the right direction by including ventilation and heating in the standard.”

VUWSA’s Welfare Vice President Rory Lenihan-Ikin was also positive about the it passing, telling Salient, “we look forward to the new bill upgrading the paper-thin 1978 insulation to the 2008 building code” as Phil Twyford is pushing for.

The Healthy Homes Bill will now go to Select Committee where submissions can be made.

1. Dear Daddy Dave
  2. The Weekly Planet
  3. Throwback T-Swizzle: Speak Now
  4. Books to Films
  5. Books to Films
  6. Still Life with Chickens
  7. Silicon Valley Season 5
  8. The Adam Portraiture Award is Anachronistic and Goofy and I Love It
  9. Things Fall Apart
  10. Nothing Looks Better Than a Head Between Your Thighs Feels and Other Shit Chat