May 29, 2016 | by  | in Editorial |

Editorial—Issue 12, 2016

Lots happened this week: we’ve seen some mean thunder and lightening; we’ve seen Max Key get a new haircut (he looks like Malfoy and is going HAM on the Snap Story). And we’ve also seen Patrick Gower show stats that say, despite National politicians insistence that there is no housing crisis, a majority (76%) of those surveyed in a Newshub-Reid Research poll felt that the government weren’t doing enough about housing, including 61% of National voters.

Salient goes to print in about an hour, it’s the last one for a while, and today, while eating marmite and cheese toasties, we watched politicians yell at each other about the budget. Money was getting moved around, figures increased and decreased, there was nothing particularly groundbreaking. It was smoke and mirrors to disguise what was largely, business as usual for the National government, a continuation of the status quo. It was archaic dinosaur Bill English’s eighth budget speech. TLDR; durries are gonna get more expensive guys ~vape 4 lyf~.

There were no solutions to many of the problems we’re facing, there was so little given to students and little given to those who need it; while superannuation, war memorials, defence, and spies all got more money. What remained clear after this budget was that the possibility of owning a home, and for some just living in one (let alone a warm and dry one), continues to be slowly written out of the narrative.

As we come into winter, some of us will go home to comfortable places, some go home to mould and cold, some struggle to afford to heat their homes and need to prioritise other things like food and rent, and some people have no homes. A few nights ago the skies poured and exploded with thunder. It was novel for us, those safe and dry inside. Time will tell whether this budget will see the National government re-elected next year, and how these figures and statistics will actually impact our lives.

We’re now half of the way through Salient’s production for the year, and it feels too soon to be saying this. We’ve all reached the mid-year break, which feels like an astronomical achievement. And it should. You all should feel so proud of yourselves for making it this far.

Things we’ve learnt: People have reacted to the amount of ‘women’s topics’ that have been covered, we hate meetings and emails, there are so many systemic problems across the university institution, our office is a graveyard for bugs and regularly attracts bees, sitting at a desk will slowly kill you, don’t leave the windows of the office open during winter when anything can happen weather wise.

Next trimester we have twelve more magazines to make, and we’d love for you to join us if you’re keen on writing news, reviews, or features. Or even if you just want to give us some feedback on how we’re doing, or what we could do better, get in touch at editor@salient.org.nz.

We wish you all the best with your assignments and exams, and hope you get a chance to relax and celebrate being halfway through the academic year.

1