May 22, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Last week I had the pleasure of attending six ceremonies for Victoria’s biggest graduation ever—over 3000 students were awarded qualifications. That’s a heck of a lot of graduates, and seeing Lambton Quay at a standstill as we marched in the parade made me think about the amazing accomplishment of these 3000 graduates in completing their qualifications. It was slightly bittersweet. I was happy for all the graduates successfully completing a life-changing chapter of their lives, but also envious that I still have another two years of study left (why did I do a double degree!?).

For many of you reading this, you will be in the same boat as me. Happy for the graduates walking round campus in their Hogwarts gowns taking photos with loved ones, but sad that you still have another year (or two, or three…) of trekking up and down Mount Street in that fierce southerly wind (hi winter lol) with a pile of textbooks in hand.

As winter kicks in and exams are just around the corner, it can be very easy to feel disempowered and to wonder if you’ll ever get through ECON130, let alone complete your degree. My message to you is hang in there. Imagine the joy of walking across that stage to receive your $30K piece of paper, wearing your fanciest outfit and Hogwarts gown, while being cheered on by your loved ones and fellow graduates. This is where you want to be.

And remember you’re not in this alone. There are people available to help you along the way. Talk to your tutors (use their office hours!!!), make an appointment with Student Learning, ask your class-rep if they can set up some study groups. Seek out support during your time here, so that dream of walking across the stage can become a reality.

1. Larger Than Life — Chris Rex Martin & Tainui Tukiwaho
  2. Manaia — Atamira Dance Company
  3. Philosoraptor
  4. The Basement Tapes
  5. Three Days in the Country
  6. Wonder Woman (2017)
  7. The 2017 Budget — what it means for students
  8. Interview with Gareth Morgan
  9. The Bubble
  10. The battle you never asked for: Chasing Liberty vs. First Daughter

Go Watch TV: Rick and Morty and Secular Humanism

: - SPONSORED - Writers and critics have praised Rick and Morty for its sharp character writing and absurdist take on sci-fi tropes, and I count myself in that number. But there is a mounting backlash against it that I can’t help but pick a bone with. On one of the many, many pop