May 22, 2016 | by  | in VUWSA |

Gee-Mail

Last week I had the pleasure of attending six ceremonies for Victoria’s biggest graduation ever—over 3000 students were awarded qualifications. That’s a heck of a lot of graduates, and seeing Lambton Quay at a standstill as we marched in the parade made me think about the amazing accomplishment of these 3000 graduates in completing their qualifications. It was slightly bittersweet. I was happy for all the graduates successfully completing a life-changing chapter of their lives, but also envious that I still have another two years of study left (why did I do a double degree!?).

For many of you reading this, you will be in the same boat as me. Happy for the graduates walking round campus in their Hogwarts gowns taking photos with loved ones, but sad that you still have another year (or two, or three…) of trekking up and down Mount Street in that fierce southerly wind (hi winter lol) with a pile of textbooks in hand.

As winter kicks in and exams are just around the corner, it can be very easy to feel disempowered and to wonder if you’ll ever get through ECON130, let alone complete your degree. My message to you is hang in there. Imagine the joy of walking across that stage to receive your $30K piece of paper, wearing your fanciest outfit and Hogwarts gown, while being cheered on by your loved ones and fellow graduates. This is where you want to be.

And remember you’re not in this alone. There are people available to help you along the way. Talk to your tutors (use their office hours!!!), make an appointment with Student Learning, ask your class-rep if they can set up some study groups. Seek out support during your time here, so that dream of walking across the stage can become a reality.

1. “It doesn’t have to be boring”: Chlöe Swarbrick vs. status quo
  2. Work
  3. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  4. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  5. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  6. The Sky Is Falling
  7. Tell us about Talis
  8. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  9. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  10. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,