“International students are NOT commodities”

VUWSA has opposed the university’s potential outsourcing of its pre-degree Foundation Studies programme in a recent submission to the Senior Leadership Team.

VUWSA said the move risks “negatively affecting education quality, minimising student support, and decreasing international and domestic reputation.”

“Outsourcing pre-degree pathways segregates international students from Victoria’s learning, social, and cultural communities.”

Academic Vice President Jacinta Gulasekharam said, “they’re not outsourcing following a programme review or student consultation—the school was not even contacted during this review process.”

Outsourcing has been proposed by the university in order to meet a projected growth target of increasing international student numbers from 12.5 per cent to 18 per cent.  

VUWSA are advocating for a review of the programme, which has not been done in eight years, as a better step to improve students’ experiences and attract more international students.

They requested that a submission made by the VUWSA International Students’ Association, who strongly oppose the move, be “heavily factored into the final decision.”

Citing the high costs of international study, Gulasekharam said the move adds to the argument that these students fees “just balance the books of Victoria University’s budget.”

Gulasekharam said that she hopes fellow students agree that “international students are NOT commodities. They are an integral part of the Vic community and we stand with them.”

1. Pizza Base Recipe
  2. VUWSA to Sell Van
  3. Hunter Lounge Raking in Business as Reality Sets In
  4. Rule and Exception
  6. Volume 81 Issue 03: Stale-ient
  7. Are We Live
  8. 15 Things I’d Rather Do Than “Discuss With the Person Next to Me” in a Lecture
  9. Superorganism Self-Titled
  10. Trump’s America