“International students are NOT commodities”

VUWSA has opposed the university’s potential outsourcing of its pre-degree Foundation Studies programme in a recent submission to the Senior Leadership Team.

VUWSA said the move risks “negatively affecting education quality, minimising student support, and decreasing international and domestic reputation.”

“Outsourcing pre-degree pathways segregates international students from Victoria’s learning, social, and cultural communities.”

Academic Vice President Jacinta Gulasekharam said, “they’re not outsourcing following a programme review or student consultation—the school was not even contacted during this review process.”

Outsourcing has been proposed by the university in order to meet a projected growth target of increasing international student numbers from 12.5 per cent to 18 per cent.  

VUWSA are advocating for a review of the programme, which has not been done in eight years, as a better step to improve students’ experiences and attract more international students.

They requested that a submission made by the VUWSA International Students’ Association, who strongly oppose the move, be “heavily factored into the final decision.”

Citing the high costs of international study, Gulasekharam said the move adds to the argument that these students fees “just balance the books of Victoria University’s budget.”

Gulasekharam said that she hopes fellow students agree that “international students are NOT commodities. They are an integral part of the Vic community and we stand with them.”

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,