iPads aren’t better than teachers

A recent study has found that the use of iPads, and other technologies to accompany learning, in the classroom does little to improve education.

The study, to be published in the next edition of the Australian Journal of Middle Schooling, looked at two classrooms of eight year old students, one which used digital devices such as iPads and one that was free of technology. It was found that each class’s literacy comprehension improved at a similar rate.

The study did however discover that older children, those in year five to six, benefited from the use of technology, making three to four times the gains.

The research comes at an important time, with more classrooms asking students to bring their own devices to school.

Dr Poskitt said that while her study shows technology can benefit some students in how they learn, it does not replace the need for conscientious teachers.

“It does not substitute for effective teaching… essentially it’s about teachers who understand how technology might be used, who link it into what they’re learning. The ones that were really effective were targeted in what they used and why they used it.”

2. Interview with Andrew Little — Part One
  4. The Trump Front
  5. Political Round-Up
  7. Things I wish I knew
  8. On the periphery of the imagined world
  9. Boulcott Blues
  10. Rankine Brown Update
Newtown, between 1908-10. Photograph taken by Sydney Charles Smith. 1888-1972: Photographs of New Zealand. Courtesy of Alexander Turnbull Library. 1/1-019663-G

On the periphery of the imagined world

: - SPONSORED - For the local, Wellington is a city of few surprises. At 500 feet, a larger, more formidable metropolis, like the sprawling small print of terms and conditions, enfeebles any sense of total comprehension. In contrast, the familiar Wellington harbour lined by a city