iPads aren’t better than teachers

A recent study has found that the use of iPads, and other technologies to accompany learning, in the classroom does little to improve education.

The study, to be published in the next edition of the Australian Journal of Middle Schooling, looked at two classrooms of eight year old students, one which used digital devices such as iPads and one that was free of technology. It was found that each class’s literacy comprehension improved at a similar rate.

The study did however discover that older children, those in year five to six, benefited from the use of technology, making three to four times the gains.

The research comes at an important time, with more classrooms asking students to bring their own devices to school.

Dr Poskitt said that while her study shows technology can benefit some students in how they learn, it does not replace the need for conscientious teachers.

“It does not substitute for effective teaching… essentially it’s about teachers who understand how technology might be used, who link it into what they’re learning. The ones that were really effective were targeted in what they used and why they used it.”

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,