May 8, 2016 | by  | in Ngāi Tauira |

Māori Matters

Social media is arguably the greatest guilty pleasure of our time. We Facebook, Snapchat, and Instagram our way through life, studiously ignoring all obligations. We binge watch TV with our laptops open to convince ourselves we’re actually studying. Conversation is punctuated by videos of laughing goats or remixed ringtones. All while we try to plough our way through kiwaha lists or essays on the rise of China, to varying degrees of success.

Kapa haka is a big distraction for tauira Māori. Biennially in February, Te Matatini National Kapa Haka Festival stands for three days, distracting haka freaks and Māori alike for weeks as they put their favourite brackets on repeat and eschew all responsibility. Watching kapa haka is very interactive, and thus, doubly distracting. Beware the Māori flat with haka freaks as residents or overstayers, because they are guaranteed to be trying to learn every bracket under the sun. It is impossible to get through readings with a backing track of rhythmic takahi occurring above your head and the butterfly beat of poi being bashed about.

Between midweek drinking, twenty-firsts, and red cards, and parties, the call of liquor is a guilty pleasure that hardly ever bodes well for the health of your studies Sundays are the worst. Everybody is hungover, the debrief has occurred, and the regret has set in. Most are lamenting the last three tequila shots that made functioning, let alone actually studying, the next day near impossible. Those 9.00am Monday tutorials are looming and you can think of nothing but blue Powerades, hashbrowns, and a marathon of Vikings.

Despite living in an age of constant commotion, we battle on with trying to balance our academic, work, social, and cultural commitments. Can you blame us for indulging in a few guilty pleasures to get us through the day?

Announcement

There will be an SGM to elect a Kaituhi (Secretary) and a Poutuarongo (Tikanga and Reo officer, VP)

Thursday, May 12 at 5.30pm

42 Kelburn Parade

1. Freedom of Speech
  2. Dark Objects
  3. Better Living (Wage) Everyone
  5. A Mental Health Crisis Among NZ University Students?
  6. Women in Action
  7. Disenchanted Prophets — Matakite Matekiri
  8. Super Science Trends
  9. VIC UFO
badgirl

NOTE TO SELF: HOW TO WIN AT THE ART GAME AND STAY IN YOUR LANE

: - SPONSORED - Written by NZ’s #1 art world bad girl   The art world is a game. It is a game Have you trained? Are you ready to run the race? Do you own New Balances or Nike Frees? You have to be comfortable, because it’ll take decades to run the race and get [&hellip