megg and mogg
May 22, 2016 | by  | in Books |

Megg & Mogg in Amsterdam: And Other Stories

★★★★

Author: Simon Hanselmann

Publisher: Fantagraphics Books

Most of you will remember the picture book adventures of Meg and Mog from childhood—a witch and her cat, along with their friend Owl, getting up to weird, brightly coloured shenanigans. Well, Australian cartoonist Simon Hanselmann has taken those classic characters we know from our most innocent years and created the debauched stoner adventures of Megg, a drug-addicted, depressed witch, and her sidekick/lover Mogg (yes, a cat).

Hanselmann, who comes from Tasmania, was raised by his solo mum, who had a drug problem throughout his childhood. He found solace from the chaos in comics, self-publishing his own from when he was eight years old. Years later in the UK, he first drew Megg & Mogg as a humorous reprieve while working on another comic. It ended up snowballing into a larger project, eventually being published online and gaining a cult following.

This is Hanselmann’s second published Megg & Mogg collection, after 2014’s Megahex, and there are just as many drugs and bad decisions. Megg & Mogg live with their neurotic, more sensible friend Owl, sleeping all day, taking drugs all night, and generally living a really filthy lifestyle. Along with the incessant drug taking, there’s nudity, sex, violence—basically everything inappropriate for kids, and definitely some stuff that’s pretty shocking to an adult (Megg giving Mogg a rim job springs to mind).

Hanselmann has taken the classic stoner comic and pushed the boundaries even further—the result is lewd, absurd, depressing, and usually hilarious. The humour here won’t be for everyone, but some of it is truly inspired: in the eponymous episode, Megg & Mogg go to Amsterdam for some “couples time,” forgetting their antidepressants and ending up paranoid and miserable, forgoing the Anne Frank House for the Red Light District.

Whatever your reaction to the edgy, often disturbing antics of Megg and Mogg, you won’t forget these comics any time soon (cat rim job). Share it with your friends, stoners or not, but maybe not your little cousin.

1. Issue 03 – Nō hea koe?
  2. Ka Tangi Te Tītī, Ka Tangi Te Kākā, Ka Tangi Hoki Ahau, Tīhei Maui Ora
  3. I Lift My Eyes
  4. The H-Word
  5. Where are you from?: A Loaded Question
  6. Stay Healthy: Fresher Flu is Back
  7. Māori and Pasifika support services: New phone, who dis?
  8. A Gay Old Time: Wellington Pride Festival 2019
  9. The Party Line: MMP 5% Threshold
  10. Piki Brings Four Counsellors to Victoria, One to Massey
Horse Betting-01

The Messara Report on New Zealand Horse Racing

: My mum’s family loves a “flutter”.   A “flutter” is Kiwi slang for betting. Usually on horse racing, but we’re also partial to the odd greyhound meet or two. In April 2018, the Minister for Racing, Winston Peters, released the Messara report, calling for the clos