Metiria would be a nice landlord

Last week Green party co-leader Metiria Turei hosted a discussion on campus about the Green Party’s views on housing and inequality, as part of the Green’s Fair Play for Students Tour.

One of her main talking points centred around tenants, who make up around 40% of New Zealanders. She said current renting laws are out of touch as they were made when renters were a far smaller part of the population.

Referring to the acquisition of a rental property as “a business transaction,” she said “there needs to be very clear regulation around the safety of that product.”

Turei outlined the specifics of the Green Party’s housing policy which includes a plan to remove the right of landlords, property managers, or real estate agents to require a letting fee, and establishes a way to regulate rent increases.

Under such a policy, landlords would not be able to increase rent more than once a year as opposed to the current six months. They would also seek to get rid of the 42 day notice period which allows landlords to take over the house for themselves or family members, and would give tenants the right of renewal for leases.

The party is also hoping to introduce a capital gains tax and put restrictions on foreign buyers, while also aiming to put 200 million dollars towards Housing New Zealand to build more houses.

So, that’s basically what the Green’s plan on doing when they get into government next election… check out the “Greens at Vic” Facebook page for future meetings and events, or check back here if you don’t like sitting in meetings with other well rounded, optimistic youths who look like they do a lot of a tramping in their spare time.

1