May 1, 2016 | by  | in Miss Demeanour |

Miss Demeanour

Dear Miss Demeanour,

So I’ve been sleeping with the same guy on and off for a little over a year now. We’ve both separated, left each other, gone off with other people, and come back to each other at various times throughout this time period. We’ve cut contact, blocked social media, and avoided one another while both remaining in two very intertwined friend groups, which results in the contact resuming eventually. We’re close friends, and at the same time aren’t at all. I want to cut contact, I want to move on… however, in equal part I don’t want to move on at all, because I’m in love with him, which is why my attempts at getting away never work. For fuck’s sake, just smack me.

—Stupid in the Hutt

Dear Stupid,

I’d love to smack you, but no, you seem like you’ve genuinely tried to end this thing, whatever it is, with this guy, whoever he is, because you think you should. Key word in that run-on sentence being think. But, here’s the thing, sweet kitten-face: the heart wants what it wants. That was no dumb bitch who came up with that either, so don’t go dissing it as some Britney shit.

You and your dude keep coming back together because of the chemistry, and you know what? Suck it the fuck up. Do you know how lucky you are to even be experiencing this kind of emotional shizz? Were you even expecting me to say this? I bet you’ve been surrounded by a bunch of insipid blondes crowing crap at you like, “You deserve better!” and “He’s scrub, drop him!” Well, fuck your friends mate. And, fuck that brain of yours too, filling you up with craptastic rom-coms where the girl really does get the guy after all the stupid explosions, slamming of doors, and running mascara.

Fuck all of it and fuck him while you’re at it, but literally, like, really just fuck him. And have a good time and turn your brain off for a while, and hey, turn off the fucking dramatics of deleting him from your social media. I know it can feel briefly empowering, but it’s fake-ass. Maybe this will turn into something serious, and maybe it won’t. But, if you don’t stick around you’ll never really know, right? I mean, you seem smart enough that if you really wanted to get the fuck away from him you would have already. Stop beating yourself up for liking someone you possibly shouldn’t. Listen to your heart, she knows what’s up.

Miss D.

10. Cuts From the Deep: Lucille Bogan