Viewport width =
May 1, 2016 | by  | in News |
Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on Twitter

Mum and Dad fighting over tertiary education, again

Labour leader Andrew Little has slammed the National government over the increasing cost of tertiary education.

Citing recently released Consumer Price Index data, Little said tertiary education has been put out of the reach of many, and is locking families into generations of poverty.

For the last seven years, education costs have risen faster than overall inflation, said Tertiary Education Union (TEU) national president Sandra Grey.

The TEU has repeatedly warned the government that there was disconnect between the funding of tertiary education and the actual cost.

The government has defended themselves against these claims, saying the increased number of graduates proves the cost of tertiary education is not placing study out of reach.

A spokesperson for Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills and Education Steven Joyce, said that since 2008 there has been a 20 per cent increase of students graduating from tertiary institutes around the country.

“Taxpayers pay on average about 70 per cent of the cost of tuition, student fees pay the other 30 per cent,” the spokesperson said.

On average students are paying off these loans through their wages in about six years if they remain in the country following graduation.

Mr Little said Labour intended to provide three years free post-school study or training for every New Zealander if it forms the next government.

 

Share on FacebookShare on Google+Pin on PinterestTweet about this on Twitter

About the Author ()

Comments are closed.

Recent posts

  1. Beyond Pink and Blue
  2. It is Enough: Reflections on Pride
  3. In the Mirror: Queer, Brown and Catholic
  4. “Representation”: Victoria Rhodes-Carlin Is Running For Greater Wellington Regional Council
  5. The Community Without A Home: Queer Homeslessness in Aotearoa
  6. Pasifika Queer in Review
  7. The National Queer in Review
  8. Māori Queer in Review
  9. LGBTQI Project Report Update
  10. International Queer in Review

Editor's Pick

Burnt Honey

: First tutorial of the year. When I open the door, I underestimate my strength, thinking it to be all used up in my journey here. It swings open violently and I trip into the room where awkward gazes greet me. Frozen, my legs are lead and I’m stuck on display for too long. My ov

Do you know how to read? Sign up to our Newsletter!

* indicates required