No subsidised fares in near future

The Greater Wellington Regional Council (GWRC) has voted down an initiative to provide a 25% subsidy for student bus fares.

The amendment to the Annual Plan was proposed by Councillor Sue Kedgely after hearing submissions made by students and receiving a petition signed by several thousand people.

“I’m extremely disappointed that fellow councillors did not support my amendment today,” Kedgely said.

“The issue has been stalled now for a number of years and students desperately need a reprieve from extremely high fares which see students in some parts of the region paying $85 per week to get to university.”

A 25% discount is already in the long-term plan, but an implementation date has not been specified.

VUWSA President Jonathan Gee was also disappointed in the GRWC, saying “we have seen yet again our decision-makers stall on making fairer fares a reality. We will be mobilising students over the next few months to make fairer fares an election issue in the upcoming local body elections.”

Labour-affiliated councillors voted against the amendment. This comes despite Labour-backed Mayoral candidate Justin Lester announcing a policy last week to introduce concession fares for students.

The Auckland Council currently provides a 40% student concession on public transport. In Palmerston North public transport is free for students.

1. A Tribe Called Queer
  2. Medical Anomalies: Trans and Intersex vs. Medicine
  3. chris††† — social justice whatever
  5. We Need New Words
  6. Things to see places to be
  7. Shock Over Proposed Job Cuts at University of Otago
  9. GENDER: THE DEATH AND REBIRTH
lets-seeeee

Let’s See How Far We’ve Come

: - SPONSORED - As Dani and I thought about what we’d like to see in this queer edition of Salient, we reflected on the state of UniQ as it stands right now, both at Victoria University and throughout the country. As we come to the end of our time as co-presidents for 2017 we con