May 22, 2016 | by  | in V-ISA |

Reaching Out

If you’ve been feeling extremely unmotivated to finish the rest of the trimester, you’re not alone. Someone I know once used being homesick as an excuse to get an extension on their assignment. Procrastination is not the best solution. Why not cope with the struggles of being away from home more positively?

For many international students the year end is the time we look forward to the most—going home, catching up, and eating home-cooked food. Let’s be honest here, there is still a long way to go for that! Sometimes during the course of the study year we might lose focus or get caught up with other commitments. You might go through the entire trimester feeling confident, only to be tripped up during the final weeks wondering how you let time slip by.

My advice? Stop thinking about the what-ifs and should-haves. In the weeks leading up to exams, plan your study. Allocate your time and make sure you have all your notes in order. Studying for finals is overwhelming. It is easy to get flustered with the workload and time constraints, but being smart and proactive ensures the most can be made out of your time. In my first year I put off studying until the last minute as I had no idea where to start. I crammed five weeks of work in a day because I didn’t know any better. This might work for some, but aren’t we here for the learning process?

Remember to make the most of the services provided to us. Student Learning Services at Victoria offer individual help and organise plenty of workshops throughout the year to help you academically. If you are feeling down or lonely, head on down to Student Health. There are plenty of people who are available to support you at university, including V-ISA.

We will be holding an exam study tips workshop on the first day of Stress Free Study Week! This workshop is open to everyone, but will be particularly useful for first year international students to understand the examination styles in New Zealand. Methods of assessment differ across countries so we think it would be helpful to give you some guidance in tackling exams here.

Alternatively, come down to the VUWSA meeting room every Wednesday from 2.00–4.30pm to have a chat. We really do enjoy meeting all of you. Feel free to drop us an email at vuwvisa@gmail.com with suggestions and queries.

1. Work
  2. Editorial—Issue 22, 2016
  3. I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State
  4. Young Voters: Waking the Sleeping Giants
  5. The Sky Is Falling
  6. Tell us about Talis
  7. Vic group launch their Reclaim-munist Manifesto
  8. Bye Bye Little Karori (in two years time)
  9. Students seize opportunity to rant at Grant
  10. Binge drinking is still a bit bad for you
i-daniel-blake

I, Daniel Blake and the Welfare State

: Recently at the NZIFF I was fortunate enough to see Ken Loach’s I, Daniel Blake, this year’s winner of the Palme d’Or at Cannes. By the end of the film nearly everybody seemed to be in mourning and most of the people seated around me were sniffling and wiping their eyes. I,